X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d-boy
    • Aug 2011

Blue Ridge Models announces 1:350 Tang Class kit

Following on the heals of their 1:350 USS Nautilus 571 release earlier this summer, Blue Ridge Models announced today the impending release of resin/pe models of a 1:350-scale USS Gudgeon, SS-567, a Tang Class submarine. Model appears to depict the boat as commissioned in 1952, and before a 1963 conversion that lengthened the boat, added PUFFS sonar, and a larger sail.

Picture of prototype model here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...p?f=2&t=109821
  • bharris
    • Jun 2004

Re: Blue Ridge Models announces 1:350 Tang Class kit

Thanks for the heads up on that one, 567 was my first boat in the early 60s.
    Will definetly want to build one when available
    Bob.

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

They were lengthened first in 1957 to get rid of the very unreliable GM rotary diesels and replace them with Fairbanks-Morse lightweight conventional design diesels. They were again lengthened in the early 1960's to accomdate more modern sonar equipment.

Comment

• d-boy
        • Aug 2011

Thanks for the heads up on that one, 567 was my first boat in the early 60s.
        Will definetly want to build one when available
        Bob.
        Well how cool is that!

Available for order as of today]http://www.freetimehobbies.com/index.aspx[/url]

Comment

• scott t
          • Feb 2003

Image from website posted earlier.

Comment

• tom dougherty
            • Jul 2005

Great work by Blue Ridge! They also have a Nautilus (SSN 571) kit and shortly a USS Albacore (AGSS 569) in 1/350 scale.

There is a rumor (supported by the 575 decals in the Nautilus kit decal sheet) that a Seawolf (SSN 575) may be in the works. There has never been a large scale 1950's Seawolf available (although OKB Grigorov made two 1/700 scale versions- Seawolf as built and the lengthened and modified "Special Projects boat). Seawolf is one of my favorite "unsung hero" boats that very rarely gets modeled. First liquid metal reactor and extensive "Special Operations" history after conversion. The earlier Aurora kits were just Nautilus with 575 decals packaging. In contrast, Seawolf had the distinct rising bow for the sonar as well as the stepped sail.

Comment

Does anyone know where they were lengthened? I've read where the Tang received a 9 foot lengthening to cure her engine issues, so I'm assuming that 9 feet went after somewhere. But, what about the later lengthening to add more sonar equipment? Forward, aft, or a bot of both? Google so far hasn't been my friend on this issue.

Would anyone know where or even if plans exist of the modernized and lengthened Tangs?

Thanks,

Robert

Comment

Working...
              X