X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subkraft
    • Jan 2009

Type 7 towers versus Type 9

A query for the U Boat experten.....I've got a great kit for a Turm 4 which I bought for my Robbe Type 7 and didn't use. Now I've acquired a Type 9 hull. Now, some Type 9's definately have a different tower....its broader, squarer across the front. My question is did the earlier Type 9's ever have the slimmer profile tower common to the Sevens?

Thanks for any ideas.....It'd be great to be able to use Turm 4 - made up all the railings for it....
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Re: Type 7 towers versus Type 9

Repost this in the General section of the web site. This looks like a question for Jeff LaRue, our U-boat maven.

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

I'd want to check through some of my reference books, but (from memory) all the towers on the Type IX's would have been at least slightly wider than those on a Type VII, even though the side profiles would be very, very similar.

Which model of the Turm IV do you have? Not all are actually the correct scale that they claim to be.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• subkraft
        • Jan 2009

The tower kit is the Dream Arts one made for the Robbe Type 7....got it from Germany I think.
        The scales are a bit all over the place....The Robbe Type 7 is 1:40, The Engel Type 9 is listed at 1:45,
        The Accurate Armour tower which ended up using on the Robbe would be 1:35.

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

Okay....the Dream Arts tower is a beautiful kit. Since it should be slightly oversized for the Engel hull, it would be a good compromise. The only viewing aspect that would give away it's Type VII 'origins' would be one looking at it from high up on the bow, where the length to width ratio becomes apparent.

Very, very few people will notice that.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
          X