X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Cure for a warp in my deck!

Anyone who has built the Kilo 144 scale submarine by trumpeter or similiar plastic model, I need some help.
    It seems the deck portion which is made from the water line up has a curve to it that does not match the lower hull portions.
    If you had this problem how did you correct it?
    Cutting, heating, sitting on it?
    Any suggestions?
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

I tried weighting it and

I tried weighting it and then pour boiling water. But it wasn't as controlled a change as I would like, because I burnt my fingers. So, you have to maybe find a slower, more secure way.

I still have a lerge gap to close, but I will do so by
    glassing two bolts in the front and back in order to pull the
    parts together (I have to be able to open the thing up because there is a WTC inside..)
    If it is just a static model I would suggest cutting a few
    circles from plastic, use these as ribs and superglue the
    thing together while pressing all parts to the ribs.

Regards,
    Ronald

Comment

• scott t
      • Feb 2003

I was think of sawing

I was think of sawing a fine line throught the curved part of the upper hull piece, straightening, then filling the pie shaped gap. I haven't proceeded yet so if there are more ideas feel free to share.

So this brings up a question of what to use for gap filler on a plastic model? I read bondo for fiberglass but not sure that will do for plastic.
      Is green squadron putty good? Is it waterproof???

Comment

• robse
        • Mar 2003

Hi.

Having build a few glue-it-together

Hi.

Having build a few glue-it-together aircraft in my time, I have also seen warped wings etc. The best solution for me was to put the plastic piece on a block of wood, and "force" it into shape, BUT also put smaller wooden sticks under it, exceding the "straigh-as-I-wan't-it" point. Then boiling hot water poured over it did the magic. The wings got within my demands, when removed from the wooden block, and the small sticks. It took a few tries to get it right, but it worked.

The sticks were needed, as stretching the wing to the correct point only, did not put enough mechanical stress on it to warp it back enough. Donno if it'l work on your sub as well, but... look at the bright side]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X