X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warpatroller
    • Feb 2006

1:35 XXIII by BRONCO

Check out this new upcoming XXIII kit in 1:35 scale by BRONCO! It should have far better scale detail than my 32nd Parallel XXIII..

Maybe, in the future, Merriman will make a fittings kit for it (including an internal rudder mechanism).. It certainly could take his 2.5" WTC or maybe even a 3" WTC like the 32nd P.

This is pretty damn cool, a 1:35 scale styrene sub model that is not a midget sub. I think this kit will be a first in that aspect.. I'll be curious to see what price they put on it.
  • kazzer
    Banned
    • Oct 2006

Re: 1:35 XXIII by BRONCO

Yes, we've been in touch with Bronco. They have suggested they will send us a kit for HWSNBN to check out for suitability on r/c conversion. No news yet.

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

I'm in for one or two of these if they turn out to be well made kits.

Comment

I have their Seehund kit, and it's very good, a few areas of inaccuarcy, but nothing very serious and would only be spotted by someone with intircate knowledge of the class.

Comment

• murraymcdonald
          • Feb 2003

I want one too!!

Comment

• giovanni
            • Mar 2012

When is it due !

Comment

• warpatroller
              • Feb 2006

Yes, we've been in touch with Bronco. They have suggested they will send us a kit for HWSNBN to check out for suitability on r/c conversion. No news yet.
              Tell The Wizard his wizardry is needed to devise an internal rudder linkage mechanism for this model (that gives good rudder throw so it can make tight turns) . Along with a true to scale (size and shape) propeller. Plus a functional schnorkel (at least semi-scale) for the SAS type sub-driver. That way the boat can draw air without the tower breaching the surface. Maybe make it removable so the kit's scale schnorkel can be installed for display purposes.

Sam has the right idea, getting two of them. Construct one as a training boat and the other as a front boat.

Even if this kit ends up being not very suitable for RC conversion, I will still get one and make it a static display model and use my 32nd P. for RC running. Diorama possibilities are awesome for this boat with the vast variety of 1:35 scale stuff available. Conversion kits could appear for making it an early version without the splash guard on the tower and the alternate balkongerat design. Then there is the alternate tower with the ladder notches on the tower sides instead of the ladder rungs on the front. Conversion to the late Hecht and Hai configuration is another possibility.

Bronco can follow this up with a 1:35 Type II for coastal U-boat modelling heaven and car friendly transportation.

Comment

• warpatroller
                • Feb 2006

Here are some images of the new kit. Looks like it might be available to purchase in March.. Someone in Taiwan already got a hold of this kit. So Bronco is apparently finished with it and the injection mold tooling must be all completed.

It even has the life raft with some oars that were stored inside the round compartment at the lower front of the tower. Two torpedoes. A bit better looking boat than Special Navy made a few years back. Much better than the Alanger version, which had proportional issues with the basic hull shape. I had bought the Alanger kit and was disappointed with it in regards to that, so I sold it on eBay a couple years ago.

This Bronco has a nice rounded shape to the rear top of the tower, that my 32P lacks. It is just flat back there on the 32P. I don't think they got the propeller correct in shape (neither did 32P), but overall it looks nice! If it is going to be around $105 as suggested on the Hobbylink Japan site, I will pick one of these up, maybe even two of them (a training and a front boat would be make a nice pair)!

The rest of the gallery is here]http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/german-type-xxiii-coastal-u-boat-in-1-35/13692[/url]

Comment

• sam reichart
                  Past President
                  • Feb 2003

Awesome photos. Looks like a great kit. Can't wait to order one.

Comment

• dmarquez3014
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Dec 2011

I pre order the Bronco 1/35 Type XXIII on line from Internet Hobbies, they are going for $95.59 I checked out some other online sites which are offering the kit for $100.00+
                    I am planning on making it r/c, it's just to big not too.
                    I am currently working on the Seehund from Bronco and have fitted with a wtc made by the Mark"small sub guy"Jones, It should be ready for a water testing soon. I am hoping to have both of these 1/35 scale beauties in the water.

Can't wait to get it!

Comment

• salmon
                      Treasurer
                      • Jul 2011

I pre order the Bronco 1/35 Type XXIII on line from Internet Hobbies, they are going for $95.59 I checked out some other online sites which are offering the kit for $100.00+
                      I am planning on making it r/c, it's just to big not too.
                      I am currently working on the Seehund from Bronco and have fitted with a wtc made by the Mark"small sub guy"Jones, It should be ready for a water testing soon. I am hoping to have both of these 1/35 scale beauties in the water.

Can't wait to get it!
                      Pictures?
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• dmarquez3014
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Dec 2011

Here are a couple of pic's of the on going coversion of the 1/35 Bronco Seehund into a dynamic diver.

First I cut the aft back quarter off with a razor saw, Seehund two forward haul halfs is assembled, than installed the kit rudder with a plastic micro control horn on the top of the rudder using the plastic or brass hinge pin going through the horn, make the push rod feed through and glue the two back quarter halves together making sure the rudder has no binding, I also cut and made access hole with the plate cover held in place by magnets on the inside rim for easy attaching of the linkages for the rudder/planes and prop shaft. Plus I added a 1/16 dia piece of brass tube to reenforced the prop shaft penetration. The stearn quarter is connected and held in place by magnets and mounting pins.

WTC was built by Mark Jones aka "the small sub guy" utilizing a candy tube that is 1.25" width x 6" long with 3/4" end cap, the tube is out fitted with a micro-speed controller and four channel receiver and four AAA batteries.

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

That is a sweet set-up! thanks for the pictures!
                          Peace,
                          Tom
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• mar7ck
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Mar 2003

I like how you modified the Seahund for RC.
                            I also like the fact that it is in the same scale.

Thanx for the kudos

Comment

• warpatroller
                              • Feb 2006

That Internet Hobbies, has it listed as if it was already available.. I did not notice any "pre-order" text on the site.. $96.00 is less than I thought this kit would end up costing..

@DMarquez3014 - That is pretty cool what you have done to the Bronco Seehund! Dynamic diver.. I had drawn up a diagram to RC the older Special Navy 1/72 XXIII back in 2006. I put AAA batteries in my schematic and it did have a ballast system (tiny RCABS). Dynamic diving, makes it more simplistic in the small space provided for the gear. 1/35 size for the XXIII is much better for RC use though. Your little Seehund is great for swimming pools and the typical smaller "trash-water" pond-lakes, where losing a hull and WTC in them would not hit your wallet as hard as a bigger, expensive boat hull with a good ballast system in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X