X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • david clark
    • Apr 2004

Special Navy 1/72 Type XXIII u-boot - Quick review and construction report

My Special Navy 1/72 Type XXIII arrived last week and I have made a little progress so far.

If you’re not familiar with this new release, the kit comprises 24 short run injection moulded parts (including display stand), 11 resin parts and a photo etched fret. The injection moulded and resin parts are crisply moulded and there's no troublesome flash or injection marks. You will need to add 'scratchbuilt' wire and plastic rod to complete the kit. It comes in a very large box with a big piece of foam rubber to stop things rattling around (or to fill the void).

There is no interior detail but the conning tower is well detailed with resin and etched components.

The base of the conning tower has open vent holes that do have some flash and it will be worth cleaning them up. That should create an appearance of scale thickness too.

As there's no interior, you will be able to see straight through the conning tower. I will insert some plastic card to represent the pressure hull inside the conning tower.

A test fit of the two hull components revealed that they don't provide an exact match. However, the top of both hull parts seem to have an identical kink.

The failure of the hull components to mate correctly is due to slight warping of one side rather than an incorrect or mis-cast component. I have used thick plastic card spacers or bulkheads to get both halves to align and the last test fit was pretty close.

After a little packing and trimming, I should be able to get a perfect fit.

The very basic plans and few photographs that I have been able to find suggest that a couple of minor modifications (keel and vents) may be required but I'm not going to carry out major surgery unless I'm convinced that it's necessary.

The kit is nowhere near as good as Revell's recent 1/72 kits but it provides more of a challenge and I think that completing it will be very rewarding.

Any thoughts on suitable 1945 crew figures from the range now available for the Revell u-boot?

David
  • gerwalk
    • Dec 2004

Hi David,
    Thanks for the mini

[color=#000000]Hi David,
    Thanks for the mini review on this kit. I was curious about it. The things you describe are typical from Special Hobbies.

As for 1/72 Kriegsmarine figures]

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

David-
      If you could post some

David-
      If you could post some photos, that would be great.

What is the overall length of this model?

Where did you purchase the model, and what was the cost?

regards,
      Sam

Edited By sam reichart on 1125408347

Comment

• tabledancer
        • Feb 2005

I used Andreas figures on

I used Andreas figures on my U-203,which were cast in metal and are really detailed nicely but expensive.There are quite a few sets out there now made of a range of materials and prices to suit everybodys needs.
        TD

Comment

• david clark
          • Apr 2004

I bought the kit from

I bought the kit from NKR Models (located about 150km from my home) and it arrived the day after I sent my order.

It cost me AUD76 including postage. That's a lot more than I paid for the Revell Type VII but I think that it's worth it.

I'm not sure whether I can post photographs of my model as I have a very cheap digital and an old but trusty SLR and neither have produced photographs of the required quality (OK, a poor workman blames his tools). However, there's a preview on Hyperscale that will show what the kit is like]http://kits.kitreview.com/mpmpreviewbg_9.htm[/url]

I have some of the Hecker & Goros white metal figures for my Type VII and they are very good. However, I was thinking of trying other manufacturers for figures that would suit the late war period when a few Type XXIIIs were in service. Perhaps the Warriors conning tower set, although it will be a squeeze to get more than a couple of figures to fit.

David

Comment

• DavidJ
            • Nov 2016

Well, I have just re-joined the Subcommittee and re-commenced work on my Special Navy Typ XXIII. I can't believe that it has been languishing in the box for eleven years

There is so much more information available now, particularly with the build reports on the Bronco 1/35 scale model. I will be adding details to the bridge now.

Cheers

David

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

Welcome back!!!
              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• DavidJ
                • Nov 2016

Thanks Matt

I'm really making some progress now - as I should be!

I will post some progress photographs shortly.

Cheers

David

Comment

Working...
                X