Model Submarine Kit Review - review, comment, feedback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seawolf
    • Mar 2003

Model Submarine Kit Review - review, comment, feedback.

Just wanted to live-up the static model topic here .. let's submitt some review of the submarine model that u have build or ever seen ...

I'll start with Dragon's OHIO class... SSBN.
    very good model. parts by parts was quite fit, and it is cheap. All the 24 missiles bay door can be open and closed.

Completed with 2 mini Seahawk Antisubs heli.

Too bad I didn't bought her counterpart, the Typhoon from Dragon's
  • tracy white
    • Mar 2003

Zvezda 1/350th K-141 Kursk

Decent kit.

Zvezda 1/350th K-141 Kursk

Decent kit. Some work required on the missile doors due to poor fit Missile bays included but very basically rendered.
    My copy's starboard torpedo doors were none-existant; not hard to rescribe though. Builds up well.

Comment

I've recently purchased the Revell-Monogram

I've recently purchased the Revell-Monogram USS Lionfish (1/178). There's a review of the aftermarket parts for this kit on this site already, but I was so dissappointed with Revell's kit I had to post this. It's an inexpensive kit (only $10-15, depending on where you get it), but the detail is not really that good. I have a Revell USS Flasher kit from 1971, and it's almost identical - not many improvements. The conning tower is a little sloppy and the guns aren't very detailed. As well, there are raised guides for varying configurations of fill holes - if you use them, you have to drill them out, otherwise you'll have to carefully sand them down. Fortunately, Nautilus makes various resin kits with different styles of conning towers and weapons, as well as a photoetch kit for this model, but these are several times the cost of the Revell kit - suddenly the inexpensive model is pricey. It makes for a nice model with some careful work and aftermarket or additional parts, otherwise even the most careful out-of-the-box construction will only produce a mediocre model.

Edited By ss249 on 1050041224

Comment

• seawolf
        • Mar 2003

That's remind me of my

That's remind me of my Skipjack by Revell. The fitting of both upper and lower hull is killing me, gotta trim and use lots of putty and sand it down (I didn't do that, I just trim and sand it so the fitting is quite smooth).

No torpedo bay scribbed (and I'm not re-scribbing it because I didn't know the shape and the postion).

The propeller blade have to fone through a re-work - due to the props got only 3 blades and its shape is like the one on trawler or tug boat.

Comment

Working...
        X