X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkeatingss
    • Nov 2003

Revell Type VIIs - How outerdoors , & shutters operated

On the Revell model, it allows you to show the outer doors open or closed.
    Now. On US boats the shutters slid forward, a distance equal to the diameter of the door plus the hinge displacement, as the doors opened.
    The distance from the leading edge of the shutters, on the Revell, to the nearest edge of the bow seems too short, to allow that. So, how did the Germans get the shutter out of the torpedo path, when they opened the doors? Or did Revell mess up there, and we're stuck with it?
    Help?!?!?
    Mike
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Hi Mike,

The bow torpedo doors

Hi Mike,

The bow torpedo doors on the Type VII were hinged at the front. They were simply opened by moving the rear edges inwards to clear the tubes.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• mkeatingss
      • Nov 2003

Thanks, Jeff.
      But, I also

Thanks, Jeff.
      But, I also need to know how it was done. Was it linkages or what?
      I assume that the shutters had to move in, for some distence, before the outer doors opened. And the doors would have to be partially shut before the shutters began to move back out.
      Are there any drawings, that show how the system operated? I'll can email you a drawing of the Door-shutter arangement on a 637, if they'd be of use to you. But I've got nothing on the German system.
      Mike

Comment

• JWLaRue
        • Aug 1994

Hi Mike,

The hull shutters were

Hi Mike,

The hull shutters were opened/closed along with the outer tube doors (also called "bow caps"). Looking at the linkage, it does not appear that there is any "slack" in movement between the two.

I've not seen any diagrams or drawings of this detail, but there are photos that show this. If you're interested in some photos, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can find.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
          • Aug 1994

Hi Mike,

The hull shutters were

Hi Mike,

The hull shutters were opened/closed along with the outer tube doors (also called "bow caps"). Looking at the linkage, it does not appear that there is any "slack" in movement between the two.

I've not seen any diagrams or drawings of this detail, but there are photos that show this. If you're interested in some photos, drop me an e-mail and I'll see what I can find.

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• mkeatingss
            • Nov 2003

Jeff, I emailed you at

Jeff, I emailed you at your old compaq address. It got kicked back. Can you send your new one to << mkeatingss@cox.net >>
            Mike

Comment

• JWLaRue
              • Aug 1994

Mike,

That old address is still

Mike,

That old address is still functional. I'm guessing that you may have 'mispelled' my first name....? That would be jeffrey.larue@compaq.com or jeffrey.larue@hp.com.

I'll drop you a quick e-mail.....

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
              X