• Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

New Kit USS Seawolf SSN 575

Iron Shipwrights USS Seawolf SSN-575
    - Circa 1960. Kit# 4-279

1/350 scale resin & 3-D printing $69.95

USS Seawolf SSN 575, the US second nuclear submarine was built alongside of the first SSN, USS Nautilusin Electric Boat’s South Shipyard. Although built roughly at the same time, several external differences were apparent. The BQR-4A bow sonar in the lower bow of Nautilus, was moved to the upper bow on Seawolf. The sonar “windows” were initially individual rubber coating backed by thin steel (later replaced by a single, curved fiberglass window). The “step sail” similar to the contemporary “Guppy” conversion fleet submarines, allowed the fitting of a small, pressure cylinder conning tower in the sail itself. Moving the periscopes up allowed the submarine to be deeper in the water at periscope depth. Also modified from Nautilus, although less visible, was the stern. On Nautilus, the twin propellers were mounted directly on large, stern fins which fully enclosed the propeller shaft. Seawolf instead had smaller fins and an exposed section of the propeller shaft, with a bearing housing and support struts for the screws.

However, the biggest difference between Nautilus and Seawolf was the reactor. While Nautilus had the S2W (STR) pressurized water reactor, Seawolf was launched with the S2G (SIR) liquid sodium reactor. The sodium cooled, beryllium moderated reactor could operate at much higher temperatures and lower pressures than the S2W pressurized water reactor. This offered the possibility of generating superheated “dry” steam at significantly higher temperatures and greater thermal efficiencies. The sodium reactor pumps were electromagnetic, with no moving parts. The steam generators had a system of tubes within tubes, with the liquid sodium, and intermediate tube with a sodium potassium mix, and the last tube having the secondary loop water to generate superheated steam. The intermediate tubes kept the water and sodium from mixing, a highly undesirable event.

In practice, however, the high temperature sodium proved highly corrosive to the stainless steel materials employed for the superheaters, and pinhole leaks in the heat exchanger forced the operation at reduced power and abandonment of the superheated steam loop. She was limited to using lower temperature saturated steam. Seawolf cruised for >20,000 nautical miles over 2 years with the liquid sodium reactor at 80% power. In late 1958, Seawolf returned to Electric Boat and the sodium reactor replaced by an S2Wa pressurized water reactor virtually identical to Nautilus. After operating in the 1960’s, Seawolf was converted to a NURO Special Projects platform with an extended hull plug (with special operations equipment) installed forward of the sail.

The Model

​The model represents Seawolf in the early 1960’s. I was approached by Jon Warneke of Iron Shipwrights who was looking for submarine models that had not yet been kitted in 1/350 scale. Jon and I exchanged numerous back and forth design details, with input also from Jacob Gunnarson, Jim Margerum, Jim Christley and David Grogan. The finished model shown in the photos is the prototype version that Jon sent me for assembly, which is all 3-D printed from his design files. There are minor (but important) differences in the finished kit, most notably in the bow sonar panels, a subtle revision in the sail sections blending, sail running lights relocated and the aft deck details revised, all updated based on the latest information. The final kit is a resin hull (see IS Seawolf kit photos), generated from a 3-D masters rubber mold and all of the other model pieces are 9K 3-D prints. Many of the parts are provided in multiples (masts, propellers, propeller shafts, etc.) so these delicate items can be successfully removed even when “disaster strikes” on some tries (been there, did that). And then there is the “no questions asked” parts replacement policy at Iron Shipwrights. Jon followed my advice in making some small pieces more accessible on the print platform for removal. Jon was extremely responsive to all of the inputs and suggestions, and determined to get the model details correct.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.4 KB ID:	150427

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.2 KB ID:	150428
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.0 KB ID:	150429

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	150430
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	150431
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	150432 Click image for larger version  Name:	Seawolf Prototype Model-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	150433
  • X Bubblehead
    • Sep 2017

Nice job on my old boat Tom. A couple of things come to mind - depending on what year you're depicting of the original version.

The SQS-51 dome mounted on top of the bow looks like the aft end has an angle to it. If so, it should be vertical. (The SQS-51 was a skimmer sonar, with the transducer inverted.) It was one of two sonars that remained with the boat throughout it's life, -along with the BQR-4. As befitting a skimmer sonar, it was worthless. We pinged on a 10' diameter steel sphere to test the system after sea trials and got zip - no matter the range. Curb feelers would have been more useful, but it did keep the sonar shack a little warmer in cold waters. That was the only time we went active during my time aboard. The transmitter cabinet's fuses were removed and the receptacles tagged out - just like on the old, BQS-4 -common to all but the Trident boomers when u.

The port and starboard running lights were square pop-outs - like the Nautilus, and located just above the hull numbers.

The Bathythermograph sensor guard, (if you want to add it) was located on the upper/forward side of the sail. It was later moved inside the sail without a guard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail (1).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	150439

Name:	Sail (3).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	150440

I remember the bridge having more of a round shape, conforming to the leading edge of the lower section, adn housed a retractable bubble spray screen. This old shot barely shows it.

Name:	Good Top Of Rear Sail.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	150441

I hope you sell lots of them!

CC

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

Thanks for the comments, CC. The running lights on the sail were already moved lower on the final kit; we caught that one a while back. The sail was also modified to extend the blend line of the upper and lower sections further aft. It is probably the most accurate kit of Seawolf to date available. The stern, fin, shaft and bearing struts and the propellers distinguish it from other models, which just slapped a Nautilus stern on it.

The Seawolf kit is now available from Iron Shipwrights. Also available is the 1950’s Sailfish in her post SSR configuration, complete with PUFFS fins, Dolphin SS555, and Blueback, one of the last diesel boats built. Order direct and get a discount. And, no, I don’t get a cut of the money, I’m just excited that kits of these unusual submarines are finally available.

BTW, I have found the best way to remove the 3-D printed parts from the part caddy tray they are printed on is using a Xuron photo etch cutter. The parts are very detailed but somewhat fragile, especially the propellers. I was using a microsaw, but the Xuron cutter is much faster. Cut the print supports and file the remaining stubs down carefully.

I am working now (on the work bench) on assembling the printed prototype for the “extended hull, post 1970” version of Seawolf. The above the waterline details are pretty accurate based on photos, underneath is of course largely a guess. We are not following some of the more speculative drawings one sees online but staying conservative on minimal under hull details. There is a towed FISH deployment tube, similar to Halibut, but that’s about it on the hull. The kit will include skis and ski hull supports, but the modeler can decide to use them…or not. We are mindful that the below the waterline details are still classified, so tried to be conservative.

Also coming early next year along with the Special Projects Seawolf for you Guppy aficionados (which includes me) is a Guppy III kit, complete with extended hull, high Atlantic sail, PUFFS and the ever popular Prairie-Masker tubing. Can’t hear the diesels running that well when cloaked in bubbles.

Which reminds me. Anyone have hull drawings for the K-class SSKs of the 1950’s?

Comment

Working...
      X