X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petero
    • Apr 2006

Early Albacore configuration

I'd like to build a Mikro-Mir 1/350 Albacore in her initial configuration, with the large cruciform tail and bow planes. Does anybody have plans for these features? I have the Jim Christley profile view from US Submarines Since 1945, but I've never seen plans for the bow planes or the horizontal tail surfaces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	early albacore.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	150298

Peter
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

That's about it fro drawings of that configuration. I have never seen any additional views of Phase 1 Albacore.

Comment

• petero
      • Apr 2006

I have found this photo of the stern, from "U.S.S. Albacore: Forerunner of the Future" by Largess and Mandelbatt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stern as launched - from USS Albacore Forerunner of the Future.jpg Views:	0 Size:	353.3 KB ID:	150320

It shows that the rudders have larger protrusions than the drawing, and it appears that the forward edges of the rudders are not vertical, but tapered so the hull ends are narrower than the skeg ends, especially on the lower rudder. Unfortunately the printing is very contrasty, so it's difficult to tell what features are the sub and what are shadows. It also shows the stern planes have no protrusions beyond the skegs, and are most likely not tapered. The inside shape of the skegs also looks more angular than the drawing.

So far, I haven't found a photo that shows the extended bow planes.

Comment

• thor
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2009

There is a very nice book out about Albacore. I believe there are a few sketches in there that might help you out. I am out on the road all this week. I will be home over the weekend and I will see what I can find for you.
        Regards,

Matt

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

That's about it for drawings of that configuration. I have never seen any additional views of Phase 1 Albacore. The book Matt mentions has no further drawings in it t clarify the configuration, and I *think* he is referring to the "USS Albacore: Forerunner of the Future" book, which is where your above photo is from.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• thor
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2009

Tom-You are correct. That is the text I was thinking of.
            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• petero
              • Apr 2006

Thanks for trying, Matt. I thought it was probably that book, but I was hoping anyway. I think I have or have seen every book and article about the Albacore, but I'm always on the lookout for more.

I've emailed the Albacore Museum to see if they have any documentation. Before moving to NC, I lived about 15 miles from the Albacore, and visited her many times. My name is in the museum's founding donors list in "Portsmouth-Built: Submarines of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyards". I was also at the original attempt to haul her out onto the cradle at the museum. I'll be going up to NH soon to visit family, so I'll try to get to the museum again. I'll bet the grandkids would love it!

Comment

• nino
                SubCommittee Member
                • Apr 2015

Petero, I came across a few photos that might be of help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	albacore-plan-3-12.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	150656 Click image for larger version

Name:	albacore NEWS_stern old.jpg
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	150650 Click image for larger version

Name:	AGSS-569 Albacore.png
Size:	8.4 KB