• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Question for Bill Lambing

Hi Bill,
    A quick question. I know you served on Sturgeons (Tautog, if I recall). We’re the SPMs on Sturgeons trainable through 360 degrees or fixed to thrust only to the stern?
    Thanks!
    Tom
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Hi, Tom!

All classes so equipped could rotate to near 360 clockwise and counter-clockwise. A really nifty 350 hp trolling motor! As I recall, you could go nearly all the way around, but then would have to reverse the controller to the other direction to get past that point going the other way. There were limits to what the cabling inside the unit could handle. Kept us from inadvertently cork screwing the units innards! Trepang!

Take care, sir, and please avoid the germs!!

Bill

Comment

• ccontrol
      SubCommittee Member
      • Mar 2012

Ooooooo, I bet someone is going to make their SPM functional! Great idea BTW! Thinking of a future 3D printed 1/48, early 637.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        No one
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by wlambing View Post
        Hi, Tom!

All classes so equipped could rotate to near 360 clockwise and counter-clockwise. A really nifty 350 hp trolling motor! As I recall, you could go nearly all the way around, but then would have to reverse the controller to the other direction to get past that point going the other way. There were limits to what the cabling inside the unit could handle. Kept us from inadvertently cork screwing the units innards! Trepang!

Take care, sir, and please avoid the germs!!

Bill
        I remember that well COB!! Stood many a Maneuvering Watch Helmsman first two patrols, even after QMOW qual! (I guess they liked me catching Jr OOD's in boo-boos as they qualified!)

OOD, "Helm, Train the OUTBOARD to 270 degrees."

Ed

Helmsan, "Train the OUTBOARD to 270 degrees aye sir!"
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

Thanks, Bill! I appreciate the information vey much. You take care as well.

“Avoid the germs”…
          I just retired last year just two months short of age 70 from the Dept. of Microbiology at Harvard Medical School. After 47 years of working WITH the germs, I am now firmly trying to avoid them as well!

Comment

• sam reichart
            Past President
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by tom dougherty View Post
            Thanks, Bill! I appreciate the information vey much. You take care as well.

“Avoid the germs”…
            I just retired last year just two months short of age 70 from the Dept. of Microbiology at Harvard Medical School. After 47 years of working WITH the germs, I am now firmly trying to avoid them as well!
            congrats on your retirement Tom! I'm not far behind you... two months to go!

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

That’s great, Sam! You’ll find it’s nice not to have to structure your time around work.

Thanks for the congratulations as well!
              I find there is still plenty to do, even though my entire retirement so far has been during the time of CoVid. I am consulting, catching up on reading, and building models that I have acquired over years of collecting. And, reading the CoVid scientific literature as well, just to keep up. If anyone has any questions about the CoVid roles of B cell’s, Dendritic cells or CD4 and CD8 T-cells, I’m happy to answer them.

Comment

• wlambing
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

I retired for the second time back in February of last year. Boring!!! Especially during the cold weather months! I work on boats until frustrated, then watch You Tube until I get a good day (upper 30's into the 40's) and go for a nice 50-80 mile ride on the H-D. So far this winter, it works out to about 1 day a week. My absolute cut-off is 25F. Back into boats this weekend!!!

You guys take care, and, Sam, get ready for a really different ride!

Bill

Comment

• tom dougherty
                  • Jul 2005

Boat working time today. No ‘cycle riding in the Northeast.
                  Coldest weather yet! 10 degrees on the outskirts of Boston today.

Tom

Comment

• subdude
                    Official Peon
                    • Feb 2003

Wow! All you guys retired or retiring! Good for you.

Ad me to the list. Feb 28 I'm done. Been working 50 years with no breaks, no unemployment, etc. Several stretches of working 2 full time jobs at once. I'm done, ready to do what I want to do.

Jim Butt
                    SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• sam reichart
                      Past President
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by subdude View Post
                      Wow! All you guys retired or retiring! Good for you.

Ad me to the list. Feb 28 I'm done. Been working 50 years with no breaks, no unemployment, etc. Several stretches of working 2 full time jobs at once. I'm done, ready to do what I want to do.

Jim Butt
                      I knew you and I were close… I’m done as of March 11, so about 2 weeks past you. Been working since I was 13 (paper route), never unemployed, and in IT for nearly 42 years. Thanks for the well wishes, guys. I’m ready. Model building and bird carving are going to be my priorities.

Comment

• feet wet
                        • Mar 2003

Congratulations to all of you guys for retiring. Now you have your golden years to look forward to....spending all your gold for one more year! Seriously, enjoy your time.

Comment

• wlambing
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

You go for it, Jim!!!

Maybe I'll see you on a beach or road somewhere!

Comment

• subdude
                            Official Peon
                            • Feb 2003

Bill, maybe we can meet up somewhere for a ride! That would be great.
                            SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• wlambing
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

Yes, Jim, that would be a way cool thing! Someday........

Comment

Working...
                              X