Revell VIIC and Das Boot VII - What's the difference...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • havoc
    • May 2004

Revell VIIC and Das Boot VII - What's the difference...?

Heya, folks,

Lemme say again that you've got a great website here!! And again, lemme just say that I am a newbie to subs, so please excuse my lack 'o expertise (though I did just order David Miller's "U-Boats]http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_razz.gif[/img] ) as the sub which appeared in the film.

Can you guys tell me what the basic differences --- if any ---there would be between the kit and the sub portrayed in the film? Is it an early or late model, etc.? Truth be told, I probably won't mess with any of the minutia, but hope to get the model in the ballpark of the craft in the film...

Does anyone make the appropriate decals?

And lastly, a friend of mine tells me that the anti-corrosive color below the waterline was normally red and not gray-black as RG indicates. How accurate is this statement?

Thanks a bunch for letting me pummel you with a barrage of questions!!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Hi Johnny,

Those books are a

Hi Johnny,

Those books are a great start to a "U-boat collection", I think you will find them useful.

My examination of the RG Type VIIC kit tells me that in couple of areas the interior of the tower does not seem to reflect the few good photos that exist of the real boat. Two things stick out - the first is that the Uzo is placed in the wrong location (it should be on the centerline) and the second is that the kit has this 'ledge' running all the way around the forward interior, probably intended to represent the lookout's standing position. The photos show a couple of individual steps.

There are some other things as well....but compared to the tower, relatively minor.

The portion of the hull and saddle tanks at and below the waterline were usually given an antifouling paint (which could be red in color), but this was then covered with the dark grey. There is no evidence of any boat going out with a red lower exposed during the war. Nor would a boot topping be found either. What is your friend's source for this information? (Who knows, maybe he has access to information that can confirm his assertion!)

-hope this helps!

Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

Working...
    X