X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Soviet Golf II ballistic Missile sub build

I thought I would post a few pictures of the Polar Bear Models Golf II resin kit. Polar Bear operates out of Severodvinsk, Russia, and makes virtually all Russian submarines in resin. I will do a build article on the Golf II in the next SCR. This kit is a bit of a challenge, as there are prominent seams that run the length of the submarine on both the deck and the keel. Removing/filling in without destroying details is....interesting. There are some other areas of the model assembly as well that can be perplexing, so say the least. The upside is that the kit matches exactly the drawings I have obtained from Russian of the Golf II.

The Golf II (Project 629A) was a diesel powered submarine that housed 3 missiles in the sail. These were large, liquid fueled missiles that required a keel extension to accomodate the missile length. They were launched from underwater, and their range was 750 nautical miles and the warhead was a 1 megaton hydrogen bomb. In 1968, one of these submarines, the K-129, was lost in the mid Pacific Ocean in 16,400 feet of water. After the wreck was located by USS Halibut, employing towed camera/sonar, it was decided to try to recover the front half of the wreck (which was in 3 pieces on the ocean floor). The CIA directed expedition, Project Azorian, built a large ship, the Glomar Explorer, which lowered down a sophisticated grappling device to enclose the wreck and lift it to the surface. This 1974 mission was partially successful.

The director of the lift operation, David Sharp, has written a book about the operation (The CIA's Greatest Covert Operation: Inside the Daring Mission to Recover a Nuclear-Armed Soviet Sub), which is currently under development by producer Ridley Scott as a feature film (tentatively entitled "Neither Confirm nor Deny"). I have emailed David over the years and was surprised to find that he did not have a model of the Golf II, although he still has a small piece of the K-129 hull itself. I bought two kits, one for him and one for myself, and the photos below are of the kit I assembled for him. I will be driving down to Annapolis from the Boston area in early April to hand deliver it, 'cause I don't trust any of the delivery services to get it there in one piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6913.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	137965

Name:	DSC_6925.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	137966

Name:	DSC_6911.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	137967

Name:	DSC_6926.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	137968

Name:	DSC_6928.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	137969
    Last edited by tom dougherty; 03-07-2020, 04:13 PM.
  • nino
    SubCommittee Member
    • Apr 2015

Thanks Tom.
    You did really excellent work on this resin kit. I've got the same kit and I spent too much time trying to get rid of the Crater-rim around the provided mounting hole. You did a Beautiful paint job too.
    I am mostly proud of the way you got the Props mounted. Should anyone else chime in that they are about to build the same kit, I recommend you add a few paragraphs as a tutorial.

If you get the new HobbyBoss Plan type 031, let us know what's Good-n-bad about it.

Thanks for Posting!

Jim.

Comment

• petero
      • Apr 2006

Great build, Tom! I've considered this kit off and on, but was always put off by the extremely hard resin and the price tag. Now I'm hoping to convert Hobbyboss' PLAN Golf to a Soviet boat.

Peter

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

I concur with the prior posts. really excellent work on that. Golf II is such a funky looking sub, as such, it makes it kinda beautiful.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
        X