Scratch Built 1/48 scale Yankee Russian CUTAWAY Submarine model.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seaman hornsby
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2015

Scratch Built 1/48 scale Yankee Russian CUTAWAY Submarine model.

If your on facebook, enter into the search engine------Bruce's Scale Modeling Domain. Go to his photos page, and scroll down to the submarine model. Looks pretty impressive.
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Bruce's Scale Modeling Domain, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 27K likes. Scale modeling hobby be it plastic or resin, reference materials and updates. We will be sharing t

About 42 clicks down on the side bar slider.

Comment

38 photos starting with

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

amazing work.

Comment

• ssn705
          • Sep 2013

Bummer, I refuse to do the Facebook thing because of my job so it stinks when I can't get a look at stuff like this. Oh, well.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
            • Oct 2012

Dave,
            click on the link in post # 3, it will display one photo that represents the work without having to be a part of facebook.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              No one
              • Jul 2003

Amazing, the level of detail and commitment. But what really get's me, if this is truly accurate, what life was like aboard these boat's. Having lived aboard a JAMES MADISON variant of the LAFAYETTE Class, I always wondered how the other side lived.

Familiar, yet different. They seem to use a lot of "yellow" while the US prefered that pale "seafoam" green (or grey). I was told studies were done on long term isolation and that the "green" had a calming effect, along with the "wood grain" formica we used. I remember touring K-77 Juliet Class up in Rhode Island back when we met at Johnstown, what a difference from what we had as US Sailors!

Also, long the bottom of the pressure hull I don't see any of the internal hard (open to sea) or soft (never subject to sea pressure) tanks we had such as Fwd/Aft Trim, Aux Trim, Hover, Sanitary Tanks 1,2 (120 men make a lot of waste!)...., maybe the different design philosophies kept them external? For that matter, why the batteries so far forward? We had them in the ops compartment below the sail, more mid ship, where I think all that lead weight would want to go. Also, I can't believe the scopes and masts were exposed like that on all the decks. The only way you could put a hand freely on a scope tube was on #1 and #2 at the Conn. But then again the modeler could have them exposed like that for visual effect. Maybe the polished silver tubes are the "wells" themselves? Also....wooden dressers??

I could go all day on this

So many questions. I could spend a week with a boomer sailor from the other side!

Not at all knocking this beautiful model, but if it is accurate, we were so similar, yet so different in our design philosophies.

It is an amazing build. Definitely museum quality.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
              NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
              USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...
              X