• Show
Clear All
  • Mixvs Minimax
    • Sep 2015

K-123 (Project 705 "Lira", NATO: Alfa class), HobbyBoss, 1/350

Salve!

My latest sub:

K-123, Project 705 "Lira" /Alfa class submarine by HobbyBoss, 1/350

The kit is ok. I only added the rods in front of the intakes and plates (sail) and rods (hull) on the "outtakes". The Alfas are made from Titanium, so there should be no rost. Furthermore the images show a lot of scars and paint-free areas. I guess, the Titanium and the paint didn't liked each other.

I decided to paint a lot of fouling on the hull, because the subs mostly hang around in the early 90s. Note the gull sh*t on the rudder.

cheers Alex

https://www.facebook.com/Mixvs-Minimax-478862722154782
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Nice weathering effects on the hull! You have captured that weathered look on those hulls quite well! I also like the base upgrade.

I just got a leftover 36 inch size scrap of oak from Home Depot, cut it into four 9 inch lengths and routed a decorative edge onto it. Some Minwax stain and it looks so much better than the kit stands. I am going to mount my latest resin kits in 1/350 from Blue Ridge Models on them: Albacore, Growler and Gudgeon. If you don't want to do that much work, go into a Michael's Craft Store. They have lots of small wooden bases for $3-4. A quick Minwax treatment and you have a major display upgrade. Your builds deserve better than a cheap plastic stand.

HB is cranking out a series of submarines in this scale; not superb but not bad either. Easy to assemble and a alternative good hobby occupation for the coming "hard water season" (at least here in New England...).

Comment

Working...
    X