• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petero
    • Apr 2006

1/144 Thresher/Permit detail parts

Hi all,

I'm an old newbie here - I originally joined for a few years back in the 1990s, and just re-upped.

As a Thresher fan (I grew up near PNSY), I'm considering buying the 1/144 Modelsvit Thresher kit. Are there any detail kits for the screens over ballast tank vents and other hull openings, cleats, bollards and so forth for 1/144 nukes? You'll have to pardon my terminology, since I'm an AF vet, not Navy

Thanks for your help!

Peter
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

I see some fairly numerous photoetch parts with the kit. Are those flood grates (screens for the ballast tank) for the lower hull? Also it looks like the kit may come with cleats as well. I do see that the kit has the 7 blade "J" propeller, which I have been told on good authority never made it onto Thresher. She apparently still had the 5 blade speed prop when she was lost.

The 1/144 scale is not terribly common. HR products makes white metal fittings, but not really anything you could use in that scale. http://www.hrprod.com

Comment

• petero
      • Apr 2006

Thanks for replying, Tom. It looks like the only PE parts are the zincs, judging from the photos here:

The stern photo in this eBay listing shows that they don't bear much resemblance to the real things. If all the fretwork around each block was removed, and the blocks butted end to end, it would look more realistic.

Eduard could make a really nice PE set for it, with all the hull openings, stanchions, and maybe some open hatch details. But given the relative marketability of a Thresher/Permit set versus, say, another Bf 109... ain't gonna happen .

The surface details appear to match the 1/350 Mikro-Mir kit, with simple scribed shapes to represent the various hull openings below the centerline. I was hoping for a PE set similar to Jeff LaRue's 1/72 set, which I've noticed on the site.

It also appears that the Thresher and Permit kits are identical, except for the decal sheet. It makes me wonder why they boxed two separate kits.

The incorrect prop will probably be my biggest challenge. Are there any plans for the shape of the speed prop's blades?

Peter

Comment

• bob_eissler
        SubCommittee Member
        • Aug 2005

This is a link to the pictures I took of my kit.I think the glass reinforced plastic hull makes it good candidate for converting it to rc. The detail is good for a limited run kit.

Comment

• petero
          • Apr 2006

Great pics, Bob! These are the photos that confirmed that the two kit are the same. It's too bad Modelsvit didn't include the towed array housing so modeler so would have that option.

Was the wooden base well secured so that it didn't rattle around damaging the other parts during shipping?

Peter

Comment

• southern or
            • May 2014

Modelsvit seems to make good kits from what I've seen and have. I haven't started it yet, but their AN-124 kit is amazing. The engines alone would make a good stand alone kit. Be nice if someone would compile a list of components for these sub kits.

Comment

• tom dougherty
              • Jul 2005

There seems to be some controversy on the actual propeller fitted to Thresher. If you are doing Permit, then the 7 bladed J propeller is correct for that submarine.
              Too bad, as you noted, that the under hull details don't come with recessed phototetch parts for the ballast tank vents and various openings for sea water, etc. Did they inlude the mushroom anchor?

Comment

• southern or
                • May 2014

I just got my Permit model today. Seems a travesty to split that hull, but I think that'll be the only way to convert it. No anchor, no towed array, but it does have decals for the Permit, Barb, Pollack, Haddo, Tinosa, Dace, and Guardfish. The Wood stand was well packaged so everything arrived intact and none of the parts were knocked loose. It doesn't have to many parts, BUT NONE of the parts are numbered so you'll have to keep referring to page 2 to find whatever parts you need. Overall I'd say they did a great job though. I hope these kits don't follow the trend of other Modelsvit kits and skyrocket in prices when stock runs out.

As a side note, I don't think the hull is fiberglass reinforced plastic. I think it is fiberglass resin, which doesn't surprise me. Hybrid kits are sort of their thing.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                  • Jul 2005

As built, the Permits did not have towed arrays. This looks like an "as built" representation, as the mini-sails are also not present.

Comment

• southern or
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by tom dougherty View Post
                    As built, the Permits did not have towed arrays. This looks like an "as built" representation, as the mini-sails are also not present.
                    I wouldn't worry to much about the anchor and the mini sail. Those look to be pretty easy to fabricate because there isn't much to them. That towed array they added later on is something else though.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                      • Jul 2005

I wouldn't worry to much about the anchor and the mini sail.
                      yep, easy enough...

Comment

• southern or
                        • May 2014

Sorry they're late Tom. This is Modelsvit 1/144 Permit kit. They have a separate Thresher kit in the same scale.

Comment

• petero
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by southern or View Post
                          I wouldn't worry to much about the anchor and the mini sail. Those look to be pretty easy to fabricate because there isn't much to them. That towed array they added later on is something else though.
                          The mushroom anchor is included. It's part # C6, in step 5 of the instructions.

Tom, what are the "mini sails" that you're referring to?

Peter

Comment

• southern or
                            • May 2014

Originally posted by petero View Post
                            The mushroom anchor is included. It's part # C6, in step 5 of the instructions.

Tom, what are the "mini sails" that you're referring to?

Peter
                            So it is.

as for the mini sail, It was added later, but I don't know what purpose it served.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssn-595g.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	128327

Comment

• redboat219
                              • Jan 2005

This thing RCable?

Comment

Working...
                              X