X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hakkikt
    • Jun 2006

Dormant Members Only Section ?

Nice work on the Skipjack. I like the fine splotches on the periscopes. What scale is this? Can it be the Revell 1/230 one?

I've not seen or heard

I've not seen or heard of one built up.

There are a lot of details on this site past and present which show most types of submarine model, but you can't expect to pick a boat out of the hat and find a full write-up and build log in every instance.

Dave Merriman made up one of their Seaview hulls, he had a few quality control issues with the GRP lay-up, the gelcoat separated from the laminate in a few places which required extra work- which is not really on for a +$1000 hull IMO.

Dave makes the definitive Skipjack BTW, but I guess at 1/96 it's a bit too small for your tastes.

The 1/48 Skipjack judging by the photos on their site, looks like a basic hull. i.e. there is minimal detail/scribing and the dimensions of the control surfaces look somewhat inaccurate to me e.g. the rear dive vanes are full flying, this isn't the case with the 1:1 Skipjack.

These are items that can easily be corrected, or if you're not that bothered about 100% scale fidelity can be left as is.

Price wise, I guess it's about right for a hull that size. In terms of fitting one out, you can look at other similar types of boat and go from there. the Skipjack is a simple design which shouldn't present any difficulties

Comment

From my own experience the

From my own experience the best size of boat is between 1-4 feet in length, and that depends on the scale and subject of boat.

A midget submarine can be made very chunky at three to four feet in length, and they usually handle well too with their large control surfaces.

Submersible type craft can be easily manageable down to a little over a foot in length.

A biggun sounds impressive and looks impressive. In practice they're not so much fun to operate and transport.

Also bear in mind that big boats equal back ache.

Comment

Well it's your money, and

Well it's your money, and your brothers back!

Comment

Working...
        X