X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

USS Tullibee SSN 597

The Tullibee was a one off SSKN, a nuclear powered hunter-killer prototype design. It was compact, had the first bow sonar sphere and was the first design to move the torpedo tubes further aft to accommodate the sonar. It was powered by the small S2C reactor and featured DC turboelectric drive, rather than steam turbines. It also had three PUFFS sonar fin receivers on the upper deck. Instead of being the forerunner of SSKN submarines, many of the features (bow sonar sphere, torpedo tubes relocation) were incorporated into the Thresher/Permit class. To reduce noise emissions, machinery was mounted on sound isolation rafts in the Thresher/Permits. The turboelectric drive was quiet, but slow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tullibee.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	149347
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

And always broken!!!

Comment

• tom dougherty
      • Jul 2005

Okay, so I left out the part where Tullibee lost her propeller shaft and almost sank. I also left out the part where she was known as Building 597 at EB because of her extended problems.

Of note, though is that this drawing correctly portrays Tullibee's hemispheric bow and sharply tapering stern. Unfortunately, when MikroMir made a kit of this submarine recently, they shaped the bow and stern similar to the Los Angeles class. The Tullibee kit I assembled and described a few issues back in the SCR was a Yankee ModelWorks resin kit, which correctly captured the shape of the submarine.

Comment

Working...
      X