• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sub-standard
    • Jun 2020

Looking for Golf 1, Project 629 plans

Looking for Golf 1, Project 629 plans.
    Hopefully plans with hull cross sections so I can make a plug.
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Re: Project 629 plan set

I have a 4 X 6 foot set of plans for the Project 629. These are interior layouts plans, from the side and top, but hull lines are there. There are six cross sections on the plans as well. I also have additional cross sections scanned. These plans were obtained from....sources in Russia, and used along with 629A plan sets to digitally reconstruct the lost Golf II that was the object of Project Azorian. I am trying to post some photos attached to this, not sure if they will come out. It seems most of the files are too big to post, only my cross sections can be posted.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Golf II 629A cross sections.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	745.2 KB
ID:	134773

Here's the reconstructed Golf II wreck being hauled into the Glomar Explorer:

Name:	K-129 Recovery CIA Painting.jpg
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	134776

Comment

• lhdockyard1
      SubCommittee Member
      • Dec 2011

If you want to save time and effort I have a mold for a Golf 1 already in production. 1/72 scale

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

A Golf II could easily be made as well. The sail is slightly different in shape; the hull and fittings are identical to the Golf I. The Golf II conversion was much more capable as it could launch missiles from underwater, and the R-21 missile it carried had a range of 750 nm vs. the 350 for the surface launched R-13 missile. The Golf II remained in service through the 1980's.

As far as Sub-Standard, sounds like the best bet is to buy the Loyalhanna Dockyard Golf kit.

Golf II model

Name:	DSC_6913.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	134779 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6910.jpg
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	134778 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6928.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	134780
        Attached Files

Comment

• sam reichart
          Past President
          • Feb 2003

Such an ugly boat,; it's definitely got character. I always thought an R/C one would be a great model. Type XXI characteristics with all that sail and lower hull mods...

Comment

• tom dougherty
            • Jul 2005

It's basically a variant of the Foxtrot SS design forward and aft of the sail. Same three Kolomna diesels, same three shaft propulsion (port, starboard and centerline). Forward layout is pretty much identical. But the earlier missiles (R-13 for the Golf I and R-21 for the Golf II) did not fit into the available hull & sail space, hence the keel "bump". The big difference was the launch systems: the Golf I used the D-2 system, which was strictly surface launched. The Golf II D-4 system could be launched underwater (30-40 meters deep). Neither missile was all that accurate, but with a 1.2-3 megaton warhead, close counts.

My understanding is that the real Golf handled underwater about as well as you might expect from the keel hump.

The model above was built by me for David Sharp, who was one of the senior engineers on the Glomar Explorer in the 1974 attempt to recover part of the Golf II K-129 from 16,400 feet deep in the Pacific.
            Last edited by tom dougherty; 07-20-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by tom dougherty View Post
              It's basically a variant of the Foxtrot SS design forward and aft of the sail. Same three Kolomna diesels, same three shaft propulsion (port, starboard and centerline). Forward layout is pretty much identical. But the earlier missiles (R-13 for the Golf I and R-21 for the Golf II) did not fit into the available hull & sail space, hence the keel "bump". The big difference was the launch systems: the Golf I used the D-2 system, which was strictly surface launched. The Golf II D-4 system could be launched underwater (30-40 meters deep). Neither missile was all that accurate, but with a 1.2-3 megaton warhead, close counts.

My understanding is that the real Golf handled underwater about as well as you might expect from the keel hump.

The model above was built by me for David Sharp, who was one of the senior engineers on the Glomar Explorer in the 1974 attempt to recover part of the Golf II K-129 from 16,400 feet deep in the Pacific.
              nice to have friends in low places... literally and figuratively

Comment

• gantu
                • Aug 2009

Hello let me see what i have on my harddrive, when i am home.
                Gantu

Comment

• Sub-standard
                  • Jun 2020

Gantu, I am replying to your pm messages. Are you not getting them? Pm your email address and i will contact you that way.

Comment

• tom dougherty
                    • Jul 2005

I have scans of the Golf I and Golf II plans. Big files that total to 21 Mb.
                    If you want them, I need an email address to send them.

Tom

Comment

• Sub-standard
                      • Jun 2020

PM sent with email address, Thanks Tom.

Comment

Working...
                      X