U861 under depth charge attack in a mine field.....REALLY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pier 72
    • Jun 2007

U861 under depth charge attack in a mine field.....REALLY!!!

This footage was taken of my Type IX during the 4th Model Submarine Regatta in Canberra (my nation's capital) over the Easter weekend.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/ExA69prggRg[/youtube]

She got attacked 3 times which may have contributed to the failure of my ATC camera which flooded later in the day.

Enjoy.

Dave
  • mylo
    • Aug 2005

.....Ok.........THAT......is really cool http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_biggrin.gif

Mylo

.....Ok.........THAT......is really cool

Mylo

Comment

• pier 72
      • Jun 2007

Well, here's a closeup of

Well, here's a closeup of the attack taken from another guy's sub.
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/JsR8kkvUZno[/youtube]

Comment

• mylo
        • Aug 2005

Dave,

Whoever is responsible for

Dave,

Whoever is responsible for putting that little attack together, ....the destroyer, the mines, subs, EXPLODING depth charges.....those are my kind of people. Really great.

Mylo

Comment

• hakkikt
          • Jun 2006

Now that looked like a

Now that looked like a lot of fun! Can you give us details about the depth charges? I am sure a lot of people are interested!

-Harald

Comment

• tmsmalley
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

MANDATORY SAFETY DISCLAIMER

MANDATORY SAFETY DISCLAIMER

Very cool! Everyone please keep in mind that anytime you have something that can explode, people can get hurt. If you are doing it, make sure it is well away from observers and other potential victims (and litigants.)

And by the way - don't bring any sort of pyrotechnics (rockets, rocket torpedoes, depth charges, mines, etc.) to the SubRegatta this summer. The city of Carmel does not allow it in their parks and even if they did, we wouldn't allow it due to safety and liability concerns for the club.

Ok - back to having fun...

Comment

• mylo
              • Aug 2005

Awwwwwwww........o.k. Dad. http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_cry.gif

Mylo

Awwwwwwww........o.k. Dad.

Mylo

Comment

• hakkikt
                • Jun 2006

Fine, now that the safety

Fine, now that the safety disclaimer is out of the way and we can all rest assured that this will not be tried at any SC meeting because we are all reasonable indidivuals:
                Dave, Tell Us How This Is Done!

Comment

• bradv
                  • Jan 2004

OK, some details seem to

OK, some details seem to be requested

Here's a frame-grab from the first depth-charging run. The 1st charge has already gone off in the middle of the frame, giving the underwater smoke and the bubbles above it. This piccie captures the flash of the 2nd charge on the bottom of the pool (to the left) as it goes off. The shockwave from this explosion was reflected off the bottom back up through the water, giving the horizontal line across the picture. The video this was taken from was captured from a static-diving 688 sub from MSSA (thanks Jim!).

The following image is from the 2nd depth-charge run. The 1st charge has gone off, giving the large bubbles on the middle/left. The second charge has just exploded above the u-boat (sorry Dave) giving the sheets of flame and expanding bubble cloud. This image is from the second "close-up" video posted previously, captured by my Dumas Akula. I seriously thought these 2 charges must have cracked my ATC2K camera lens, but it's obviously better built than I thought!! The whining you can hear through the video is the belt drive on my sub.

The frigate lobbing the charges is the HMS Amethyst, built by our much beloved pyro, Dr. Pat. AFAIK the charges consist of black powder in a cardboard cannister with a waterproof fuse, the latter seen as the small "stick" protruding from them in the close-up video. This is ignited as they are spring-launched from the boat. To attempt to keep them off the bottom of the pool, this year the charges were attached to a small cork float by some very fine cotton. As you can see, this didn't always work The pool is still fine though. However, the Amethyst later ended up with a perfectly-round hole through its side, fortunately just above the waterline, as a result of an attack by one of Dr. Pat's armed torpedoes!

Yup, we had a great time at the Canberra SubRegatta!!

Comment

• mylo
                    • Aug 2005

Ooooooo.......I'd be interested in that

Ooooooo.......I'd be interested in that torpedo that blew the hole in HMS Amethyst.

Mylo

Comment

• hakkikt
                      • Jun 2006

Me too! It's difficult enough

Me too! It's difficult enough IRL to make torps explode exactly when they should and at no other time, I imagine it must be really tough in a small model. I would love to see the design of the fuses (for merely educational purposes of course ; ).

Serious afterthought: with explosives thrown around models in the pool, I would be really worried about hours and hours of loving work being spoiled by a misplaced black powder package...

Comment

• pier 72
                        • Jun 2007

But you don't think about

But you don't think about that until AFTER the explosion..................

Comment

• pier 72
                          • Jun 2007

No music over this one,

No music over this one, cause' you've really got to hear the noise.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/AFOFBqXIGUg[/youtube]

I want to build another Type IX by the way........with mines.

Comment

• petn7
                            • Jun 2003

Splendid!! http://www.subcommittee.com/forum/icon_cool.gif

Splendid!!

Comment

• hakkikt
                              • Jun 2006

Interesting: at least one guy

Interesting: at least one guy seems to have been underwater during this, taking pictures.
                              Being an avid scuba diver myself, I have often asked myself what might be a safe distance to small underwater explosions. Seems like a few meters already works.

Comment

Working...
                              X