• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Submeier
    SubCommittee Membership Chairman
    • May 2020

1/72 Scale Skipjack-Class RC Submarine Pond Patrol 04JUL21

This is a 1/72 scale Skipjack-Class submarine, USS SCULPIN (SSN-590). It is a Moebius Models plastic kit, converted for remote control operations. The electronics are contained in a dry watertight compartment, called a Sub-Driver, purchased from the Nautilus Drydocks

This Pool Patrol was conducted on 04 July 2021. There were three objectives for this underway:
    1) Retest the new micro servo arms that I installed in the Sub-Driver after USS SCULPIN's most recent pond trials resulted a Jam Rudder casualty from slipping servo arms.
    2) Keep the local neighborhood pond free of snoopy spy turtles, sneaky water snakes, and gators.
    3) Conduct training operations for a guest Conning Officer!

All objectives were met: The new servo arms worked very well and didn't slip. The rudder servo is a little too sticky on left rudders, need to see what's binding it. Sneaky water snakes and snoopy spy turtles stayed clear of SCULPIN. My sister was in town, so I had her take the conn halfway through to let me take close up videos. I put some "training wheels" on by sticking the fairwater planes in full rise and trimming the stern planes so that she didn't have to worry about "mud darting" (happened anyway, driving submarines can be hard!)

This is a 1/72 scale Skipjack-Class submarine, USS SCULPIN (SSN-590). It is a Moebius Models plastic kit, converted for remote control operations. The electr...
    Matthew "Submeier" Homeier
    Membership Chairman
    The SubCommittee
    sigpic
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Thanks for the report and video.

Comment

Working...
    X