X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern or
    • May 2014

NEED HELP!?

So everything is going good with the OSCAR, but I've ran into a rather serious series of problems.

First, how do I solder together the 2 bottom and 1 top rudders to function off one servo? The two bottom ones are really easy, but it's that middle top one that has me stumped. Then, each of the 2 ballast tanks have 7 powered wires on them with 5 going to the control system. The problem with this is that these wires run the length of the WTD and the aft portion where they aren't located houses the drive motors and ESCs. Add to that the limitation on the length of the servo and ESC control wires to the receiver makes me wonder what to do with the receiver and it's antenna. Does the antenna need to stay inside of the WTD, and of so, will my mass of wires cause RFI?

Also, how far off of center can the props be from the motors before the universal joint's pins fail? I'm looking at possibly 1/4 inch, but that could be better when I actually mount the shafts and the motors.

Thanks,
    JP
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Re: NEED HELP!?

JP,

how do I solder together the 2 bottom and 1 top rudders to function off one servo? The two bottom ones are really easy, but it's that middle top one that has me stumped.
    Take a look at how Erich configured the rudders on his Redoubtable. That same technique will work with three rudders as well as the two for his build]http://postimg.org/image/ks5uyiwyf/[/url] His build thread is here in the same sub-forum as your.

Then, each of the 2 ballast tanks have 7 powered wires on them with 5 going to the control system. The problem with this is that these wires run the length of the WTD and the aft portion where they aren't located houses the drive motors and ESCs. Add to that the limitation on the length of the servo and ESC control wires to the receiver makes me wonder what to do with the receiver and it's antenna.
    A photo would help...it's not clear that the problem is? Might it be that you're concerned about the length of the servo wires? (If yes, can use servo wire extensions.)

Does the antenna need to stay inside of the WTD, and of so, will my mass of wires cause RFI?
    You do want to be careful to keep the antenna away from the ESC and power wires in order to minimize RFI problems.

The antenna does not need to stay inside the dive module. If you do elect to run it outside 'in the wet', be sure to do two things]Also, how far off of center can the props be from the motors before the universal joint's pins fail? I'm looking at possibly 1/4 inch, but that could be better when I actually mount the shafts and the motors.[/quote]
    A photo here would help as well. Having a 1/4-inch offset doesn't sound too bad, but it depends on how far apart the prop shaft is from the motor shaft. I.e.: the longer the better.

-let us know if this helps?

Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• southern or
      • May 2014

Re: NEED HELP!?

this is just a quick and dirty "fit between the lines of the WTD" test, but everything is wired up and connected. I used electrical tape to bind up as much of the loose wires as I could, but your right, I will need an extension for the fore servo. It looks like a mess, but the receiver and decoder look like they'll be housed by the aft ballast tank due to the massive collection of control wires and their various lengths. I'd love to house the receiver next to the fore tank, but then every channel would need an extension cable. That puts them extremely close to the ESCs and batteries, but the TAE2 system will probably be housed in front of the aft ballast tank because its short enough to miss getting hit by the piston. No idea where I'm putting the dive plane controller yet, but I need extension cables to figure that out and it needs to be mounted on the same level plane as the keel so the built in leveler doesn't go crazy.

Like the Typhoon, there are going to be levels within the deck, but I need to know just how much of a deck I'll have after I cut it to fit. This is the rough idea so far. Yes, I cut the motor housings to fit then put them on their sides.

Comment

Working...
      X