X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheelerdealer
    • Jun 2006

The 1:100 Project 941UM Typhoon Build Thread

Well here we go again. My Third Engel Typhoon. I built my first one in 2002, not long after Engel brought out the original kit. I got about halfway through when other priorities brought a halt to proceeding. When I got back into building, there was a lot more information to be had online on the Typhoons and Engel had just released a new more accurate version, so I sold I sold it and bought a new kit in 2006. A lot of modifications later, both cosmetic and structural and TK-20 Severstal had her first outing in 2007.

I believe at the time she was the most accurate functional RC model Typhoon class sub about. The now infamous YouTube video (shot by our very Subculture/Andy) brought a lot of enquiries and a lot more Engel Typhoons seemed to get built, employing some or most of the changes I made to the kit. I enjoyed conversing with all these builders and seeing better boats of this class getting built. One in particular, TK-17 by Gabriel, took the game to a whole new level. Unfortunately, 5 years on the sub is not yet completed. But this is the boat that motivated me to build another.

I have had a good few years away from model subs and it’s time to get back. The Typhoon has been my favourite sub since reading the Hunt for Red October and the class I have the most research material on. Accurate TK-17 and Tk-20 models are spoken for, so I settled on building the Project 941UM Dimitri Donskoi (nee TK-208) in her post 2002 refit guise.
    I intend improve greatly on TK-20, not only in term of accuracy (though I will not be matching Gabriel’s TK-17), performance, function and presentation.

This thread is mainly to keep my motivation going over the next year or two that I expect it will take to her in the water, and to spur the next lot of Typhoon builders that come along.

12 years after my first, 8 years after my second, here we go……
  • Wheelerdealer
    • Jun 2006

Re: The 1:100 Project 941UM Typhoon Build Thread

I guess a lot of readers will be familiar with the Typhoon Class (Project 941), the largest class of submarines ever built. It comprised of 6 submarines:-

Tk 208 (launched 1980), refitted and launched as Dimitri Donskoi in 2002, TK-202, TK-13, TK17, and TK-20.
    Tk 208 was refitted to carry and test the Bulava missiles to be used in the new Borey Class. The only others of the class still afloat are TK-17 and Tk-20 (which are due to be scrapped from 2018). Being Soviet and built in different yards over 9 years, they all turned out different – different length, different fitting and even some structural differences.

Anyway on with the pictures. Here what you get when you order the kit from Engel.

And all the parts laid out (some of you may some a some difference from the regular kit but more about that later)

Comment

I bet your postie just loves you.

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

I think a lot of guys will agree that the initial un boxing is the best part of getting a new kit.
        Building and running is cool, but checking out the box of parts for the first time.
        Priceless!
        I am old enough to have built my fair share of wood boat kits like Sterling, and others.
        The smell of the balsa as you open the box is intoxicating.
        OK, call me weird!

Dooling Typhoon builds. Now this will be BD.
        sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
        "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
          • Jun 2006

Yes, I feel pretty much the same way. Laying out your parts to see where al the money has gone. Even plastic kits I remember seemed impressive with the parts still on the spruce.

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
            • Jun 2006

The top has lip that runs around the circumference which imparts a lot of rigidity. The centre section of the lower hull bows outwards, even when the top hull is installed; and only achieves its final rigidity when the middle deck/Water tight box is bonded into the hull at later stage. I noticed the original Engel Typhoon (2001-2006) had a more heavily laid lower hull that could maintain its shape better without the middle deck in place. In order for the top and bottom hull to form a smooth joint it is necessary to hull the lower hull inwards by the correct amount whilst the middle deck is being bonded in. The instruction don’t suggest how to achieve this. For TK 20 I use some large F clamps to bring the lower hull in by th e correct amount. This time I was more sensible and made a Jig to hold the lower hull from 3 pieces of plywood – two sides screwed to a base. Once the lower hull is inside I added thin shims between the plywood sides and the hull whilst test fitting the top hull to get it just right.

The middle decks sides can then be sanded by the correct amount that it fits in the lower hull snugly.

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
              • Jun 2006

I found using a laser line indispensable for finding the midline accurately of all the bits that need to be fitted to the hull.

Comment

• gepard335
                • Aug 2014

What are the differences that you have found between Donskoi and her sister-ships? I've noticed the following differences (besides different missiles):

12 external decoy tubes
                towed array atop the rudder in addition to the two halfway down the hull on either side that some of the other Typhoons have
                longer "beaver tail" (I don't know what else to call it)
                Improved BPTU-514M turbines

I do not think there are any other major differences, especially not major structural changes, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• vasily
                  • Jun 2014

I believe that Donskoi does not have the 'ice deflectors' or the vortex fins on the stern.
                  The forward safety rails seem to be embedded into the deck, rather than raised a few inches.
                  I also believe that the streamlined pointy tail was fitted during the first unfinished refit, before the he was re-purposed as the Bulava test bed and re-named Dimitri Donskoi.
                  Of course, the fancy artwork on the forward sail is new to the Donskoi period.
                  If you super-detail, the Donskoi has fresh and new acoustic tiles. They got pretty ragged after ten years of ice breaking. He also has pointed symbols on the deck that look like the outlines of fire extinguishers.

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
                    • Jun 2006

Hi Gepard35, Thanks for butting together those albums and for some of the early history. I think you guys have got most of them. TK-17 also got the recessed safety rails when she got new tiles. It that want those are on the other boats, Ice deflectors? I thought they were to house camera to monitor the deployment and retrieval of the communication buoy.

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
                      • Jun 2006

After some discussion on the Dive Into Model Submarines Facebook page, deciding on the merits of a cylinder or watertight box, I decided to stick with the Engel Box. Cutting out the top of the middle deck and fitting a polycarbonate lid on an Engel sub seems to be pretty much standard these days. The doubts that existed over if one would fatally weaken the hull or if it would be able to withstand the pressure, have been put to bed. On my first Typhoon I just replace the original metal lid with a Polycarbonate one of the same size.
                      On my second one I enlarged the hole and made a single large lid to make it much easier to install the innards and service the boat. This time I settled on 2 openings, the smaller one will access the charging ports etc.., whilst the larger one should pretty much not need removing once done. This will cut down greatly the time needed to undo the nuts to charge batteries and ventilate the boat.

Comment

• vasily
                        • Jun 2014

... Ice deflectors? I thought they were to house camera to monitor the deployment and retrieval of the communication buoy.
                        That was my thought, too, until I saw a close-up photo. They're solid (no lens or window) and don't have a seam where a hatch could be opened.
                        There are cameras that point straight up to look at the ice above. They're buried in the hull, with stout hatches to cover them.

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
                          • Jun 2006

Bonding the lead weight in the bottom of the hull with polyester resin. I used plasticine to build a damn for this – lessoned learned, it a pain to get off. Blue Tac or similar works much better.

Comment

If you want to make a cheap,quick and dirty fence for blocking off resin, I use some adhesive tape (sellotape, masking tape etc.) and old plastic milk bottle plastic (polyproplene) tacked in with a hot glue gun. All of those self-release cleanly from cured polyester resin and won't make a mess in your hull like plasticine.

Comment

• Wheelerdealer
                              • Jun 2006

The watertight box. I prefer using Simmering seals to seal water tight shafts on subs, so I made some holders out of aluminium rod to fit 6x11mm seals. I used Posilock connectors as through hull hull connector to bring cables put of the the WTC for servos, lights etc..

Comment

Working...
                              X