• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lotharbucheim
    • Jul 2012

Engel Type 212 - video

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to the film I have posted on Youtube of my Engel Models Type 212 submarine "Scire". It is 1/70th scale, which is close enough to be in-line with my other 1/72 scale r/c models. You can see my H.M.S. Guernsey ( Deans Marine ) along side her in the 'harbour' at Durban Model boat club. This is a superb kit, which took me away from my next project ( the Fleetscale Type 21 in 1/72 scale ) but it was well worth it. She runs like a dream and is fairly easy to build. Out-of-the-box, if you follow the instructions, it is a brilliant kit. The ubiquitous "Das Boot" music makes up the soundtrack, but there really isn't any better submarine soundtrack is there? I managed to find some sound-bytes from an Italian TV documentary about the real "Scire" which are also in the film.

We filmed her using a "Go-Pro" camera, hence the slightly 'fish-eye' effect which is inherent in these cameras.

When I get the chance I will edit the next part of the filming we did, when I depth-charged her...in South Africa we have fire-crackers that explode underwater. Great fun..but also the reason she is currently under repair....we managed to blow a tiny pin-hole sized breach in the pressure hull.....OOOPS !

Hope you enjoy the film.

This is my model of the Italian Type 212 submarine "Scire". The kit is by Engel Models, and is a brilliant piece of design. Relatively easy to build, and if ...
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

Re: Engel Type 212 - video

very nice filming ! what camera did you use ?

Comment

Have another look at the second paragraph, Ron.

Comment

• perez turner
        • Oct 2013

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to the film I have posted on Youtube of my Engel Models Type 212 submarine "Scire". It is 1/70th scale, which is close enough to be in-line with my other 1/72 scale r/c models. You can see my H.M.S. Guernsey ( Deans Marine ) along side her in the 'harbour' at Durban Model boat club. This is a superb kit, which took me away from my next project ( the Fleetscale Type 21 in 1/72 scale ) but it was well worth it. She runs like a dream and is fairly easy to build. Out-of-the-box, if you follow the instructions, it is a brilliant kit. The ubiquitous "Das Boot" music makes up the soundtrack, but there really isn't any better submarine soundtrack is there? I managed to find some sound-bytes from an Italian TV documentary about the real "Scire" which are also in the film.

We filmed her using a "Go-Pro" camera, hence the slightly 'fish-eye' effect which is inherent in these cameras.

When I get the chance I will edit the next part of the filming we did, when I depth-charged her...in South Africa we have fire-crackers that explode underwater. Great fun..but also the reason she is currently under repair....we managed to blow a tiny pin-hole sized breach in the pressure hull.....OOOPS !
        Your Idea is nice and effective. Especially the information about scales is informative but you may learn more knowledge from scaleforless.com. This is also an effective source of knowledge for scales.

Comment

• lotharbucheim
          • Jul 2012

Thank you Perez for your kind comments. I visited scalesforless.com, and it was, as you suggested, one of the best sources of scale information on the internet. Making a cake-mix will never be a problem again.

Comment

• lotharbucheim
            • Jul 2012

Hi all,

As promised (eventually)...the video of my Engel Type 212 being depth-charged. As you can see from the video description, I did cause some fairly severe damage to the boat (despite the charges being very small). A blessing in disguise as the damage required me to strip the paint and do a comprehensive rebuild and a much nicer, and more realistic paint job.

No frills on this video I am afraid. It's been so long in coming, but finally here is the depth-charging of my 1/70th scale model of the Italian submarine "S...

Also a link to another vid showing the Type 212 in action here. Filmed and posted by one of our Durban Model Boat Club members:

Comment

Working...
            X