• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modelnut
    • May 2003

Scratchbuilding a Fiberglass hull

Hello!

I am about to begin my Grail project again now that I have a real work space to build it in. Finally moved out of that one room apartment! (BTW I'm married now! )

But before I begin to sculpt the foam I need a few pointers on the fiberglass. What is best to use? What pound cloth? What resin? And, most especially, how thick will the hull be? That is very important since I want this boat to be as near 72nd scale as possible.

I have tried again and again to build this sub but have failed for one reason or another. The last attempt was the closest but I am convinced that if I finished that particular hull it would be too heavy to do anything more than sink once it was rigged for R/C.

Most of you know what I want to build. But for any newbies lurking about, here is a link to my dream: The NAUTILUS.

As always, any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. But I really need to know how thick the hull will be so I can subtract that from the hull's diameter.

- Leelan
  • boss subfixer
    • Aug 2004

Re: Scratchbuilding a Fiberglass hull

Leelan,
    Good to hear your getting back on track with your Nautilus. Some of your questions can be answered by checking out the Modeling tips and tricks forum. I know there is a thread specifically on thickness of the hull.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3329
    Another great resource to have and it's cheap too is Steve Neils book RC Submarine Modeling for Dummy's. Thats actually the cleaned up version of the title as you'll see when you check out his website.

Get a thread going when you start again, I know a lot of people here would like to watch this unusual project as it progresses.

Comment

• carcharadon
      • Feb 2003

Might find something useful here

Comment

• modelnut
        • May 2003

Thanks, Boss!

I have that CD somewhere but I can't find it. I married and moved since I opened it up to study. There are still a half-dozen boxes I have yet yo search though. Maybe I will get lucky.

I will be sure to check out those links you posted.

Thank you too, Sharkie!

When there are pictures to share I will definitely share them. I am tweaking the design a bit now. Hopefully I can cut foam before next weekend.

- Leelan

Comment

You can get west systems epoxy handbook for free. Very good little manual with lots of tips and tricks for laying up epoxy.

Our own SCR publication featured a couple of excellent articles on mould making By Matt Thor.

For laying up polyester hulls I heartily recommend a book called 'The Glassfibre Handbook' By R.H Warring. This is an excellent publication that will hold your hand through the process of GRP work, and is aimed at modelmakers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glass-fibre-Han ... 0852428200

Alec Tiranti also supply a nice little manual detailing GRP, once again aimed at Polyester resin use.

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/product.asp?Co ... Product=56

Comment

• modelnut
            • May 2003

Thanks, SC!

I sent for that free publication. I will look into the others. And I think I remember that article on the fiberglass mold making. Just skimmed it though.

- Leelan

Comment

• modelnut
              • May 2003

I just found this online: Typhoon. With what you fellows have given me and this article I think I will be off on a good foot.

- Leelan

Comment

Working...
              X