X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldmscle
    • Jul 2008

32nd Parallel Type VIIc rebuild

I need some advice. I've inherated a well worn 32nd Parallel Type VII that has been parked in the elements for some time and now deserves a much needed rebuild. I'm really new at this so there will be plenty of questions...glad I'm not afraid of a challenge!

The hull is in decent shape, but the deck is really warped and there is a piece missing. Rebuilding it IS possible, but I think it really deserves a stainless refit with one of your kits Jeff. If you could please tell me how I go about ordering it.

The conning tower is missing almost all of the fittings. I've looked at one of the original OTW conning tower kits a friend has and noticed it is slightly longer than my original. not a problem, but will the OTW conning tower fit on the deck you make Jeff?

My boat also is equipped with the cable cutter bow. Which of the boats were so equipped and what conning tower configurations were on those boats. Reason I ask...OTW has come out with a new two tiered conning tower that looks really great, but I'd like to stay "period correct" if possible.

Jeff, I apologize for all these questions, but I'm going to need a bit of your expert advice to "get it right"

thanks
    Lyle
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Hi Lyle,

Sent an e-mail with

Hi Lyle,

Sent an e-mail with information regarding how to get a deck.

Can you send or post some photos of the deck and hull? I'm curious as to the shape it's in.

The 32nd Parallel hull is intended to represent on of the hulls built prior to the Atlantik bow (Type VIIC/41). That would mean a boat ordered for construction prior to July 1941.

As for the bow netcutter and the Turm II or Turm IV Wintergarten configuration....that's probably a pretty unlikely combination, but I'd not swear to it. The bow netcutters were ordered to be removed around March 1941. This would have been done as boats came (back) into drydock so it's not an impossible combination....but since the Turm II/IV modifications were implemented much later, that makes it a possible rare combination.

Best thing to quell the pundits is to locate a photo of a boat with your preferred combination.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• oldmscle
      • Jul 2008

Thanks Jeff. I think I

Thanks Jeff. I think I already knew the answer to that question before I asked it, but was just hoping. I'm still trying to figure out exactly which direction I'm going to take with this boat. It was last set ou for a 3 1/2" WTC, but I'm working with a friend who's refitting his own 32nd Parallel and I think were going to simplify the process and build my system along with his. I'll post some pictures as we proceed.

Comment

• apa-228
        • Feb 2015

Hi-
        I realize your post is several years old but I have a 32nd Parallel Type VII also, and am trying to get some information on the size of the WTC I need to make for it. I have the 3-1'2 Lexan tube and a Sub-driver 2 motor drive unit but they have not supplied the ballast tank parts I ordered almost 4 months ago. I am looking at photos of the OTW ballast tank and, doing some "junkyard" math, it looks to come in around 40-41". If you have some information on the WTC you had in your boat I would appreciate it. Thanks- Tom

Comment

• JWLaRue
          Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
          • Aug 1994

For an OTW Type VIIC with their dive module, the size of the ballast tank section is 11 inches long with an internal diameter of approximately 4.1 inches, which is a volume of roughly 140 cubic inches. The way the OTW system works the tank can be filled to about 85% of total volume. So you'd like to have a working volume of around 120 cubic inches.

Having said that, I noticed with my OTW Type VII that a tank filled to about 75% would take the boat down to the bottom.

Usual disclaimer: YMMV

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• apa-228
            • Feb 2015

Hi Jeff-

Thanks for the great information. That will go a long way in getting this started. Looking at pictures and a little junkyard math only get you so far.

You guys on this site are awesome since you and Thor both got back to me in less than an hour! I can't thank you both enough!

I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and have several friends in the Annapolis/Arnold area.

Comment

Working...
            X