Setting the ballast in a Engel Typhoon - what is the proper method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silent hunter
    • Mar 2003

Setting the ballast in a Engel Typhoon - what is the proper method?

Well everything is finished and it's time to test the boat. Now what do you do? My sub has the periscope mech. and the sound module, so there's a little extra weight. Can anyone describe the procedure they have used to set the ballast on their Typhoon? Any difficulties or discoveries? One main thing that is interesting to me is what sould the high-waterline be when the ballast tanks are totally empty? Seems to me that I have seen this information posted somewhere in the forums, but now I can't find it. Thierry C.? anybody?
    Thanks for reading and thinking.
    Silent Hunter
  • ramius
    • Mar 2003

Russian boats do carry a

Russian boats do carry a substantial "reserve".Or,for our purposes the ability to sit very high in the water.
    I have seen a typhoon sitting so high in the water the props were partially exposed.That is high for a typhoon.
    Although I have no proof, I suspect this is not a "normal" surface position compared to other pictures of typhoons at dock and underway.
    Hope that helps and was not as clear as mud.

Comment

• silent hunter
      • Mar 2003

Thanks for your input Ramius.

Thanks for your input Ramius. I too have seen the photo you have described. While thats fine for the real thing, I'm don't think it's possible to duplicate that effect on the Engle boat with the ballast gear that the model comes with. I'm sure it could be done with some modifications. I don't really feel that it's neccessary for me though. I'll take my time and try to set the ballast to make the boat sit as high as possible while still being able to submerge. What a fun and interesting hobby!

Comment

• silent hunter
        • Mar 2003

Have brought home a test

Have brought home a test tank from work and am setting it up in the garage.
        Have brought home a test tank from work and am setting it up in the garage.

Comment

• silent hunter
          • Mar 2003

Thanks for your input Ramius.

Thanks for your input Ramius. I too have seen the photo you have described. While thats fine for the real thing, I'm don't think it's possible to duplicate that effect on the Engle boat with the ballast gear that the model comes with. I'm sure it could be done with some modifications. I don't really feel that it's neccessary for me though. I'll take my time and try to set the ballast to make the boat sit as high as possible while still being able to submerge. What a fun and interesting hobby!
          I had to add lead shot and remove some foam before I could get the boat to dive.

Comment

• silent hunter
            • Mar 2003

Not sure how I got

Not sure how I got all those duplicates, but please accept my apologies. Sure would like to know how to delete them and clean up the mess a bit. Thanks

Comment

Hi, try Deans site www.marinerc.com

Hi, try Deans site www.marinerc.com forum for advice on setting up the typhoon.

Comment

Working...
              X