• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mylo
    • Aug 2005

Favorite Scale

[color=#000000]Gents,

As a result of some recent conversation, I am finding myself contemplating (and re-contemplating) a scale / size of sub to build. I would be very interested in other opinions on what their favorite R/C scale (size) is and why.

I was planning on a larger scale for the following reasons]
  • paul von braun
    • Jun 2004

I chose my 1/32 otw

I chose my 1/32 otw boat because larger scale = uber detail!

Paul

Oh, and all the things you just said.

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

For me it depends on

For me it depends on the subject....but in general, larger is better.

For example a 1/9th scale Seehund and a 1/32nd scale Type II are about the same LOA and both allow for lots of room inside and are a large enough scale to do a good amount of detailing.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• eloka
        • Sep 2005

Jeff's answer is my favorite

Jeff's answer is my favorite too. My Seehund was 1/10th scale and my Alfa is 1/60th scale. So if you would like to build russian subs, the best scale is between 1/40th to 1/72th scale. Most of our compressed air Builder use the scale between 1/30th to 1/32th scale. The biggest model at the moment is an australian Collins in 1/30th scale. it's 2,6 metres long.

Kind regards

Eloka

Comment

• gotland
          • Aug 2005

Yes Jeff,

every scale has it's

[color=#000000]Yes Jeff,

every scale has it's advantage. I use scale 1]

Comment

• mylo
            • Aug 2005

Fellas,

Thank you for that

Fellas,

Thank you for that input.

It would appear it is Large scale 4, Small scale 0.

I am equally as interested in hearing from guys that prefer the smaller boats, and their reasons behind that choice.

Myles.

Comment

• adriaticsea
              • Jun 2003

Hi everyone,

I'd like to add

Hi everyone,

I'd like to add my opinion here about scales. Well, I'm building a 1/96 scale Uss Permit from ThorDesign as my very first RC submarine, and I think it will be a nice model to drive. So, I think smaller scales are perhaps a little better to start, maybe using the WTC method as I did. But, there are disadvantages, such as the little space in wich you have to work, and the impossibility to realize a REAL scale model regarding to functionality.
              I mean, the bigger scales, such as 1/30 for diesel baots and 1/72 for the nukes, are for me the only ones that allow you to build a model that, from a mechanical and nautical point of view, works as close as possible to the real ones. I think that the models that people like Gotland build in Germany using compressors and trim tanks are among the most advanced,mechanically accurate and engineered models you can find.
              But, this is only my opinion, I'm interested to see what others will say.
              BEST REGARDS MAURO

Comment

• mylo
                • Aug 2005

Mauro,

That's kind of what

[color=#000000]Mauro,

That's kind of what I've been thinking all along.

For me, it's being able to replicate how the real thing operated as closely as possible, which is why I initially thought a 1]

Comment

• himszy
                  • Nov 2004

Well at the moment I'm

Well at the moment I'm on my first real submarine build. A 27.5th Scratch Akula, 4m long, or 12 foot. Fully operational, retractable diveplanes, periscopes, onboard computer.... the list is endless.

I love the very large scale. Loads of detail can be added, features are endless, and I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to ride on board.

Finishing date late 2007.

Any questions about the build email me]Subaquamodels@blueyonder.co.uk[/email]

Please no, negative comments, I've alreadly received loads, and am getting am bit bored off defending it.

Thanks

Michael

Comment

• berserk
                    • Sep 2005

My 2 cents about this.

[color=#000000]My 2 cents about this. I've build an Ohio class sub in 1]

Comment

• mylo
                      • Aug 2005

Michael,

First of all, I,

Michael,

First of all, I, for one, think that your project is very cool. Now THAT, is large scale. (Maybe I should build a type VII that I can ride in too ....I love the idea).

Interesting, no comments from the smaller scale crowd. Even if it was something like, "Takes up less space in my hobby room", I could see value in that.

I'm definately siding with the large scale..........I think.

Myles.

Comment

• nick-c
                        • Apr 2004

Well, currently my 3rd sub

Well, currently my 3rd sub is under construction (Thor Alfa) its a very practical size.

My other boat (Sheerline U-boat) is at the practical limit for storage and transport at 66" long.

My w/chair and I have to fit in my van too

Comment

• wayne frey
                          • Aug 2003

An observation only.
                          The smaller

An observation only.
                          The smaller scales in real life take less room to transport,which is a labor of love anyway. But, At the Sub Ron 5 I noticed Jeff's Blueback and Paul's Permit where bot dancing and turning tight radius in front of the operator.
                          This is a plus because as you are standing there enjoying the boat, everything is happening right in front of you.
                          Larger scale boats do have a heck of a presence.
                          Lablac's Seaview can pick your pulse up a little seeing it in the water. But the bigger turning radius puts the "Show" in a larger area. Dont get me wrong. Tons of fun. Just a reality note I observed.
                          So, both have advantages. Having said that, my hulls are fairly large,except one.
                          And every year, I see Jeff Porteus talking to his Blueback like it is his new bride, while watching it respond to his every command in front of him. I know he is sure happy.

Comment

• wayne frey
                            • Aug 2003

To be clear, not to

To be clear, not to pick on the Seaview. I saw a few boats in larger scale do the same thing.
                            Larger scale boats do need a larger "arena" to play in. It is nice to watch a tight submurged turn right in front of you, like the smaller scales can do.
                            Yet, to see the larger boats shadow just before surfacing, is kinda like watching Jaws. Its exciting.
                            Just my opinion.

Comment

• gotland
                              • Aug 2005

Yes Wayne,

You are right, but

Yes Wayne,

You are right, but when Yuo have ever seen a "fly alongside" of Gotland and Södermanland together in a olympic pool or a cristal-clear lake, You will understand when I say I love the bigger boats.

May be should make a stop at Your next trip over here to watch us.....

Next thing I believe which is important to choose a scale is also: Where do I run my subs and how manuovrable will it be?

I think it's not good to go on a big lake with sometimes 20-40cm waves with a 1:96 Skipjack. Also it can be a hard ride with the 1:30 Tijgerhaai in a pond of 10x15 meters.

For me is important to build all my boats in the same scale to see the differences between the types and designs. Also to feel how good the boat runs and racts to the rudders in comparison with other types.

For example: It was interesting to see, how the peformance from a short swedish A17 boat (Hälsingland) to a A17 AIP (södermanland) was changing....the short boat was difficult and running like a tractor and the long version performs as a Ferrari.... The same to the 2 Näcken versions. Interesting is, that the raduis of the turns didn't change to much, just a few cm.

I am looking forward my Tijgerhaai in comparison to my Gotland

Gotland

Comment

Working...
                              X