X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaschwink
    • Apr 2004

Silent Service Tapes - TV Series Tapes

In the Review Section of the Sub Committee website, there is a review of a VHS tape of the old TV series "The Silent Service." It reports that the tape is available from John Clear and gives a web address. I cannot find John Clear in the most recent Directory, nor can I get to the website given.

Can anyone please put me in touch with Mr. Clear, give me an updated address, or advise on how I might obtain a copiy of the tape. Thanks.

Jim Schwinkendorf
  • tabledancer
    • Feb 2005

Jim,
    I have seen that series

Jim,
    I have seen that series advertised on the History channel,in DVD or tape,you might want to check there also.That was a good series.I remember watching it as a kid.
    TD

Comment

• jaschwink
      • Apr 2004

The History Channel does have

The History Channel does have CD's and VHS tapes called "The Silent Service," but those are not the ones showing the original TV sevies hosted by Rear Admiral Thomas M. Dykers (Ret.). I am looking for the circa 1957 shows, I believe in half hour segments, that were a series. The description in the Review is what I want, probably from John Clear, whoever he is and wherever he may be........

jaschwink

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

IIRC. the VHS tapes from

IIRC. the VHS tapes from John Clear were available back about 3-4 years ago. By his own admission, these were NOT top quality tapes, they were transfers from old UHF broadcasts which were apparently kinetoscope captures (a movie camera aimed at the TV screen and synched up). He mentioned that some had a fair amount of "snow".

The ultimate goal is to "liberate" the original film versions from the vaults at CBS (?? or was it NBC) and get a top quality transfer to DVD. There have been various letter writing attempts at accomplishing this, but without success.

Tom

Comment

• tom dougherty
          • Jul 2005

Or, in keeping with my

Or, in keeping with my reputation for being able to locate the most obscure facts and details, you can click on the accompanying web link to the ordering site from John Clear.

Geez, I'm getting real good at this.....

Original Silent Service Tapes

Comment

• jaschwink
            • Apr 2004

Tom,

Thank you for the information.

Tom,

Thank you for the information. Maybe a little research is in order to try for ultimate liberation........

jaschwink

Comment

• subdude
              Official Peon
              • Feb 2003

Jim,
              Check your PM.

Jim

Jim,
              Check your PM.

Jim
              SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• horribleharry
                • Jul 2005

Hello! My dad worked on

Hello! My dad worked on the series "silent service" in Long Beach Ca.
                Does anyone know what boat(s) were used in the filming of those episodes.
                Thanks,
                Harry

Comment

Working...
                X