X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gundam
    • Feb 2003

Akula/Alfa sail - Help needed.

I'm considering a sail like that of the Akula/Alfa for my model sub, as I like those streamline sails. They look alot alike, are they at all different dimension wise? If so, which one is longer. I'm also looking for anyone, who might be able to make a simple one for me, nothing fancy... I don't need scribes or anything like that, just a simple two layer fiberglass shell to work with. Only two layers because I would further modify it. Does anyone know anyone who could help me, the sail is all I need, I don't know what size just yet, but what ever would cover 5" width wise, 1/48 I think? I'd be willing to pay a small amount if anyone could do this, as I have been unable to get a sail that looks rite out of foam or wood (main cuase I don't have the real dimensions). Thank you! -James HunterValkyrie@ionline.com
  • fbradasc
    • Feb 2003

If you need the real

[color=#000000]If you need the real dimensions of the sail of an Akula you can download the Gepard's DXF drawings from my web site

The drawings are in 1]

Comment

• britt boyette
      • Feb 2003

In 1/48 scale, the Alfa

In 1/48 scale, the Alfa has about an 8" beam. Yours is around 1/85 ish', if it is 5". You may want to do your own sail using the lost foam method.

Comment

• gundam
        • Feb 2003

My sub isn't an Alfa

My sub isn't an Alfa or Akula, it's just a fictional sub that I want to make scale like. I just like the sail(s) that are streamlined. The reason I say 5" width wise, is to make sure I can blend it into the hull properly. Just hard to find a nice looking sail for a fictional, yet modernly believeible sail for the sub. I know that probly doesn't please most people, but... I tried using foam so far, fist sail I made got damaged after finishing the sanding on the foam. Foam damages sooooo easy. The second I did, ended up turing to goop after I tried to layer it with epoxy and fiberglass. Foam unfriendly Epoxy!! Still, I use the blue insulation foam, and have a hard time sanding it.. it always seems to pit or scratch. Thanks again. -James Hunter Valkyrie@ionline.com

Comment

• britt boyette
          • Feb 2003

Do you now have a

Do you now have a hull? Is it a kit hull or?
          One thing you could do to protect the foam is to seal it with PVA or a trick done by Jeff Jones which was to paint it with Latex Enamel house paint and then coating with parting wax before glassing.

Comment

• gundam
            • Feb 2003

I have the hull now,

I have the hull now, but it is not finished. The hull, was bought for $75 from someone who used it as a master plug. I need to cut it in half, amd remove all the foam, glue, and the two steel rods. The hull is that of a 1/96 scale Typhoon, and is currently two layers of 6 oz. I need to remove the glazing, sand her down, and then I plan to cover with two layers of 6 oz, and then two layers of 2 oz. Before I do that, I want a half done sail, so that I can finish it with the finishing of the hull... making sure the sail is blended into the hull securely. Trying to get a more modern, or new aged looking Typhoon I guess Just something more modern... fictional, but very scale like. Just something different from everyone else. Sratch built hull, for a scratch built fiction sub Thanks for the tip... any more input, fell free to suggest. Still haven't set my mind on any single sail yet.. -James Hunter Valkyrie@ionline.com

Comment

If you are staying in

If you are staying in scale using an alfa or akula sail on the typhoon hull,you may want to use the akula sail.It is larger than the alfa sail,and the hatches,etc would be correct scale for typhoon hull.
              This project sounds interesting.E-mail me,I would like to hear more about it.Also have an idea,what about twin pumpjets?
              It could be a VERY interesting boat.

Comment

• gundam
                • Feb 2003

I don't know exactly about

I don't know exactly about pump-jets for use, but I have considered using graupners jet-drives for propulsion. I had considered my own impeller and duct designs, but I'm not so sure on the best set up. The jet drives were designed to go fast, using a high power and high rpm motor... if I use a more torquey motor, but with less rpms, I shouldn't lose to much speed. I'm not trying to make it go super fast either. I've seen the Condor-9 Ferry with two speed 700's and jet drives, it was very quick for such a large model boat (not so much size but weight wise as well). The guy who had it got it up to almost 13 mph! The Typhoon's hull is very large at 1/96 scale... so if I even get 7 mph, I would be pleased. Still, I'm trying to achieve a very clean, sleek look. A propless tail would definately make it look neat! Even fooling around with the idea of thrust vectoring! Thanks for the idea though! -James Hunter Valkyrie@ionline.com

Comment

Working...
                X