X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Dumas Akula conversions

Has anybody tried to modify the Dumas Akula? Can it be made to be a static diver easily? What kinds of mads can be done if any?
  • crazy ivan
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Yep, I am working on

Yep, I am working on a conversion right now. A number of options seem to suggest themselves as to where to put a ballast tank. One is to use the space under the servo/motor tray by sealing off the servo opening, much like the Bluefish conversion described in the latest SCR. The path I'm pursuing is to use the space between the equipment box and the hull by installing a half bulkhead at each end of the box. This seems like a good location to counteract the large amount of reserve buoyancy presented by the equipment box, which is located fairly aft of where the ideal center of gravity/buoyancy ought to be. Tub tests indicate the full vs empty trim look pretty good. I will leave a bit of positive buoyancy as I plan to use a water pump to flood and vent it. There is ample room in the bow to install the pump. A small gas system could be accomodated just as easily. I heard of one person wanting to try a small piston tank. Once the ice melts in my pool and I can do some test runs as both static and dynamic, I will submit an article to the SCR describing the results.

Edited By Crazy Ivan on 1047582677
    sigpic
    "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

I have one with I'm

I have one with I'm modifying with polymer molded aft fins and movable forward fins redone wtc ETC will try to post a picture if I can figure out how to

Comment

Working...
      X