X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thierryc
    • Feb 2003

Location/shape of the ballast tank

I am trying to decide where should I put the ballast tank in my sub.
    I have some blueprint of the original boat which show the ballast tanks beeing around and below the pressure hull of the sub. So I am wondering if I could do the same think in a model. I am on the process of drilling all the free flooding holes at the bottom of the hull, and from what I could see on the blue prints, these were used to get the water in an out of the ballast tanks. So I would like to do the same thing, have the ballast tank at the bottom of the hull and on the sides of the WTC, like a " U " shape.
    Of course I would have some lead on the kill to keep the boat upright.
    All the r/c subs I have seen so far have a single centrally located ballast tank in the shape of a cylender (gas systems). I assume that reson for this is that it is easier to trim the boat, you keep the boat on an even keel when diving and overall keeps everything simple.
    But if the real submarines are outfitted with U shaped ballast, could we do the same thing without major problems ?
  • dietzer
    • Feb 2003

Thierry,

Blowing U-shaped tanks should work

Thierry,

Blowing U-shaped tanks should work in a scale sub, but it would need to be done carefully. You must blow both sides simultaneously, with the same pressure, or one side empties before the other, which means you could roll the sub, unless you put a LOT of lead in the keel.

Not saying its impossible by any means. But be careful with your timing and pressure to both sides of the U-shaped tank.

Just my 2 cents,

Carl

Edited By dietzer on 1046228055

Comment

Working...
    X