X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modelnut
    • May 2003

Verne's design...

While slugging away at my computer drawing blueprints for my own rendition of Jules Verne's NAUTILUS some worries about the design came to mind...

Verne has the N's waterline only 0.8 meters below the top of the hull. And the pilothouse is only about a meter or so above the hull.

Wouldn't this be two low?

In average seas wouldn't the deck and/or platform be continually washed by the waves?

And wouldn't the pilot be seeing mostly wavecrests and breaking waves at his forward facing windows?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This won't stop me in my plan. But it would be interesting to know.

-Leelan
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

I'd say... yes.

Nemo designed the

I'd say... yes.

Nemo designed the Nautilus to live her life below the waves, not in them. Of course, they needed to surface to do a lot of things...

Oh well, I guess even brilliant men forget little details sometimes.
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• modelnut
      • May 2003

I agree that the design

I agree that the design is that of a true shark. But in the book the NAUTILUS acted more like a whale and spent quite a bit of time on the surface.

Not to mention the fact that the crew would work their fishing nets from the deck.

Here is a shot of my idea for an R/C NAUTILUS]http://groups.msn.com/Modeler....oID=608[/url]
      This is my third attempt but it is coming along...

-Leelan

Comment

Working...
      X