• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thierryc
    • Feb 2003

Best ballast system

Hi all

I am looking at the various ballast systems. I don't want to use propel, piston or pump, And I am kinda torn between compressor and CO2 system.
    I know that the compressor system is what the real ones use, and I can do as many dives as I want as long as the batteries are ok, also I can use the compressed air for hydrolics and other fun stuff like torpedoes, etc...
    However it is a bit on the pricey side and require a good dose of electronic to implement everything I want.
    On the other hand a CO2 system is cheaper, not as complex, and the parts are available at any paintball shop.
    The problem is that I have to count my dives, the pressure is pretty high which can be dangerous in case of problems.

Let me know what you think.
  • rockpile
    • Feb 2003

Hi Thierry C,
    I have a

Hi Thierry C,
    I have a CO2 system in my Type XXIII. It works very well, but was a bit more expensive then the compressor system that I have for my 1/32P Fleetboat. The systems are almost the same . The biggest difference was the regulator for the CO2 system which cost anywere from $79.00 to $165.00. The compressor cost me just over $35.00 and will only charge the system to 225 PSI (if you are lucky). Most of the time I only get a charge of about 125 PSI. I use an electric pressure switch on the tank that is set for 110 PSI. That switch was only $18.00 at Home Depot. All the other valves and solenoid are the same in both the CO2 and the Compressor system. If you use the clippard solenoid they have a built in safety valve that pops at 125 PSI. Send me an e-mail if you have anymore questions.

Comment

]

[color=#0000FF]]

Comment

• dietzer
        • Feb 2003

Thierry,

I'm new to R/C subs,

Thierry,

I'm new to R/C subs, but isn't it possible to just use the compressor to empty the air out of the ballast tank and into a storage tank ? Then you shouldn't need 120 PSI air pressure for your ballast system. And the smaller the pressure, the smaller the compressor, the less you run the compressor, the faster you're ready to dive again, the more battery time you have, etc.

I've been thinking about using the small cans of compressed air found in bike shops for emergency inflators. These have enough air to pump up one or two bike tires (most are CO2, but a couple are simply compressed air). Maybe use two of these cans of compressed air (they're not much bigger than a medicine bottle); one for normal usage and one reservered for emergency blows. Then just use the compressor to empty the ballast tank back into the normal storage can. This should limit the air pressure to normal tire pressure, 35 PSI or less. Surely that's enough pressure to empty a ballast tank of water...

Just a thought. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy -- my wife does so frequently!

Carl

Comment

• thierryc
          • Feb 2003

I am interested in the

I am interested in the idea of having an air compressor or cannister of CO2 at high pressure because I plan on using the compressed air to control actuactors (periscopes, dive planes retracts, etc...), to charge the torpdoes with the compressed air and to expell out them out of the hull.
          If I use a recirculating compressed air system I would not be able to use that air for anything but blowing the ballast tanks.
          Dietzer, what you are describing is pretty much the system that Art is using
          It is a good idea but cannot provide me with HP air

Comment

I'd be inclined to use

I'd be inclined to use a combination of both systems.

I am a personal fan of the recirculating compressed air system, and it is the most used system here in the UK.
            Use CO2 solely for the torpedo firing.
            Or you could use baby pager motors for propulsion- depending on scale of course!

Andy

Comment

• thierryc
              • Feb 2003

The problem with low pressure

The problem with low pressure is that I need a pretty big storage tank, my ballast tank is about 4L, if I use air at 35psi this means that I will need a storage tank of 1.3L. I think that such a big storage is a waste of space, and that by using a higher compression I could get a smaller storage tank and more blows out of one fill.
              Unless I am wrong in the way I calculate the volume/pressure ratio.

Edited By ThierryC on 1046204366

Comment

• guardian
                • Mar 2003

Art I tried sending you

Art I tried sending you a pm and it would not allow it for some stupid reason any way I would love to know more about Recirculating Compressed Air Ballast Systems. So please feel free to e-mail me,

Mike

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                  • Aug 1994

Mike,

Another source of information (as

Mike,

Another source of information (as well as complete dive modules) for the recirc. ballast type would be Bob Dimmack of OTW. I've got one in my 1/32nd scale Type VIIC and *really* like it.

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• guardian
                    • Mar 2003

Jeff what is the price

Jeff what is the price for these ballast systems ? is there a site ?

Comment

• sam reichart
                      Past President
                      • Feb 2003

http://www.otwdesigns.com/ppj.htm

pricing and description can be

http://www.otwdesigns.com/ppj.htm

pricing and description can be found there.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                        • Aug 1994

The OTW web site is]www.otwdesigns.com

Pricing

The OTW web site is]www.otwdesigns.com[/url]

Pricing information can be found on the OTW web site.

-Jeff
                        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

]

[color=#0000FF]]

Comment

• feet wet
                            • Mar 2003

Hi Thieery,
                            I'm using CO2

Hi Thieery,
                            I'm using CO2 in one of my boats and it does work for ballast, but I'm not convinced its the way to go for scpoes and the like.Seal wear seems to be an issue with such cold gas.I'd like to offer another idea.compressed air. This works great for ballast control and scopes.It can also be dialed down to low pressure. Only two drawbacks,cost and the need for scuba certification to refill the tank.If you're interested e-mail me and I'll send pics and specifics.

Comment

• guardian
                              • Mar 2003

Art I can't find you

Art I can't find you e-mail address any where ? ! could you post it or e-mail me I have a few questions for you

Comment

Working...
                              X