Replacement 1/96 Trafalgar Propulsor Rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Replacement 1/96 Trafalgar Propulsor Rotor?

Hi! I'm refurbishing a Small World Models 1/96 Trafalgar class I built 20+ years ago and recently re-acquired. I find I am in need of reconfiguring the propulsor shaft line to a longer shaft, as well as it being of 1/8" stainless rod vs. the original epoxy filled brass tube. The rotor itself is still serviceable, but the shaft is imbedded into the hub and is too short for stand-alone use as with the original WTC. I could try to remove the shaft, but the risk of destroying the rotor is great! Is there any source for said rotor, bored for a 1/8" shaft, either 3D printed or cast? Measured OD for the blades is ~1 33/64".

Any thoughts or methods greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Bill
    Last edited by wlambing; 05-05-2023, 10:19 AM.
  • feet wet
    • Mar 2003

Bill,
    Instead of replacing the shaft, assuming that it runs true, could you sue a jack shaft to extend it?

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Jonathan,

Whatever I do will require extending the length. The installed stern tube bearing is short and allows the rotor to flop around. It was ok for the original WTC as that length brought it to the aft end of the shaft u-joint, which acted as the steady bearing. The original stuff is all gone. I have a couple of ideas, though I don't have a cylinder to use in her yet, so actual set-up will be a way down the road. She required an "ass transplant" due to damage to the stern planes and stabilizers. That's all fixed, and she has had functional bow planes added. I'm now trying to address cosmetics and other details. I thank you for thinking about this issue! She will ride again!!

Take care,

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X