Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project - research sub

Hi guys,

just took over a very interesting sub from a friend. As far as I know, this is a one of a kind model - no kit - built by P. Wieland; presumably in the late 1980ies / early 1990ies. Hull (two segments) is a really solid glass fibre construction (thickness >2mm).

Functions:
    • Dive cell (relais-driven)
    • Rear depth rudder
    • Rudder
    • Motor (brushed) with a 50 mm prop

Length: 850 mm

Dry mass: 9200 g
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Folie5.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	138417

Name:	Folie16.JPG
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	138418

Seeing this sub for the first time, its really unusual shape was immediately striking. In fact, it is a model of the real research sub LULA 1000.

Name:	LULA1000-1.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	138416

LULA 1000 carries up to 3 persons down to max. 1000 m and is operated off Madeira / Azores by a private research cooperation: www.rebikoff.org, in recognition of Dimitri Rebikoff, one of the leading deep water photographers https://de.zxc.wiki/wiki/Dimitri_Rebikoff.

The model is currently equipped with a simple relais-based dive tank control. This will be replaced by a microcontroller-based automatic depth control https://store-usa.arduino.cc/product...lectedStore=us, allowing the sub to dive and raise vertically (no depth rudder involved).

The dive tank will receive a linear potentiometer for piston position feed-back.

A 15 psi sensor will report the actual depth (input for the depth control loop).

In addition, it shall be able to “park” quietly at any depth (as research subs usually do).

A number of fail-safe routines will be included:
    • Transmitter signal monitor
    • Receiver battery voltage
    • Dive tank battery voltage
    • Leakage sensor

Once activated, any of these will result in immediate emergency surfacing (dive tank totally emptied). During nominal operation, the dive tank will be filled to some 75%.

I checked Norbert Brueggen’s LTR6, but I guess its depth control is based on an active depth rudder; requiring at least some horizontal speed.

Transmitter will be my good old MC4000 (MPX), operating at 40 MHz; very suitable with its two linear controllers (here for depth pre-selection and manual dive tank control).

The sub will be operated by an up-to-date 8-channel receiver from Norbert Brueggen http://www.modelluboot.de/, comprising a front-end frequency synthesizer to cover the 40 MHz channels 50 through 89. An integrated digital signal post-processing is suppressing all kinds of analogue or digital noise. This receiver is working flawlessly down to 5 m while transmitter antenna retracted (range test mode).

This will be a nice winter project, including writing the code for the Arduino microcontroller to cover all functions, fail-safes, etc.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers

Volker
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2021, 11:25 PM.
Working...
X