• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn1
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Painting the sub

I'm getting ready to paint my 1/72 Skipjack. It's obvious that my hobby airbrush (used for armor and airplane kits) is too small to paint this thing. Any suggestions, like a rattle can-type paint?

Thanks,
    Farlan
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

You have seen some of my boats.
    They are all painted with Krylon spray cans.
    Krylon has changed it's formula over the years so I have to do tests on plastic other than the boat, first.

I do not own an air brush so I have no idea how they would do.

I know if I take the time to do a good job of masking tape, I can get what I want from the spray cans.

Comment

• bob_eissler
      SubCommittee Member
      • Aug 2005

I use a rattle can for primer but I have painted a lot bigger subs than the Skipjack with my airbrush. Nothing beats an air brushed finish.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        No one
        • Jul 2003

Rattle can more than adequate, the finish will stand up over time from use in the pond and whisky dings.

Capt von Kloss already converted me w/regards to brand. See....After all these years, What have you found to be the best paint for your working Subs

Agreed Krylon is now garbage.

US Nuke boat (good match, looks like what I painted the real boat with back in the day, tough too!)
        Dupli-Color Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Engine Paint Black 12 oz. (DE1635)

I used Rust-Oleum 7769830 Stops Rust Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Flat Rusty Metal Primer for the anti-fouling, but getting hooked on Dupli-Color Oxide Filler primer Aerosol Red 11 oz.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

QM: the Duplicolor is becoming harder to find. Sometimes they only have the high build of the color you need, etc. If you can find the right combination, hoard it! It is also now available on Amazon at inflated prices.

evk

Comment

• crueby
            • May 2015

I've had no trouble finding the Duplicolor ceramic spray paint at the major auto parts places online, prices do vary a lot, sometimes much cheaper in 6 packs. Jegs, Advance, Summit, etc, Amazon too. Just got more of the Cast Coat Iron color for a steam engine project. Goes on thin film, dries quick, durable.

Comment

• bob_eissler
              SubCommittee Member
              • Aug 2005

I do not like Rustoleum. I can find Duplo sandable automotive primer in black or red at Farm and Fleet around here. Don't seal the primer, ages and looks better when you run it in the water a while. You can find Vallejo spray cans in Panzer grey at hobby shops. It is expensive and the fumes are terrible but it looks as nice as an air brushed finish.

Comment

• secrtwpn1
                SubCommittee Member
                • Feb 2003

Thanks all for the suggestions

Comment

Working...
                X