X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coryhenry
    • Jun 2020

Building a Typhoon using a resin hull and a FDM hull

I have started a thread in the subdrivers forum because I am using Bob's files to print out a resin hull and an FDM hull (ASA) and am comparing the results.

I am going about producing two of the Typhoon subs from Bob's store by two methods. One is using a Prusa 3d FDM printer in an enclosure using ASA and the other is doing it out of resin (SirayaTech) on a Photon Mono X. I will post updates and pictures here as I work through the process. So far I have completed printing one hull

So far the resin hull has been printed and there are quite a bit of variances in the product so lots of filling and sanding. The ASA hull is looking much better but still some pieces to print. Pictures are in the other forum but I will keep updates here as well.
  • coryhenry
    • Jun 2020

I have completed printing out the hulls and put them together. Still alot of work to do on sanding and fitment but overall moving along. Resin is more brittle but easier to sand and FDM fit better but more work to smooth.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete Hull small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	135778

Comment

• coryhenry
      • Jun 2020

Well I took a little break from sanding to almost complete my first RC sub.* Its a Kilo from Bob with all the bells and whistles.* Running gear is in and working just waiting on a package getting here on Friday to connect the prop shaft.

Name:	Kilo almost finished small.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	135779

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

You want to swing by Las Vegas and go run that sub?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• coryhenry
          • Jun 2020

Would love to hit up the next LA meet when that happens

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

I agree, but if you get antsy and want to run, let me know.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• coryhenry
              • Jun 2020

Got some more work done on the FDM hull and printed some custom bulkheads for the 2.5/3/MSD from Bob. Now to determine the size of the ballast tank since the missiles have to go in the front section of the lower hull. Thoughts?

Name:	Typhoon MSD fitting.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	135807

Comment

• coryhenry
                • Jun 2020

Got some more work done on the FDM hull.* The MSD is just about the right size.* I thought I was going to have tons of room in this cylinder but the missiles cut that prospect short!* The battery will be in the bow and two servos will also be run wet in the bow.* The FDM hull is proving easier to work on and less brittle. For scale the ballast tank is 10inches long.

Name:	MSD fitting 2 small.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	135839

Comment

• coryhenry
                  • Jun 2020

Got another chunk of work done on the FDM hull.* The upper is almost complete with the retract mechanism custom made in Bob's design.* I also got the connection complete around the missile tubes and the drive train is almost complete.

Name:	upper progess small.jpg
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	135861

The upper retract mechanism also works!

Name:	upper progress small.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	135862

Comment

• Ben Brigham
                    • Sep 2019

Think you'll ever bring this to Yorba Linda Pond when it's done? Woot! That'd be sweet!

Comment

• coryhenry
                      • Jun 2020

I will absolutely head up just need the stars to align to have a free weekend. If everything goes as planned I plan to start trimming next week and pool tests.

Comment

• DrScoles
                        • Jun 2021

I'm quite a ways behind you, love to see more details. I'm using a combo of resin and FMD to make mine. My Form 2 build plate is just a tiny bit too small to make the hull pieces.

Comment

• coryhenry
                          • Jun 2020

I have been out of the net for the past month with various trips but should be able to start work again in a few weeks. I have most of the mechanicals for the FDM hull complete and have done some trimming. So far the FDM hull is much easier to work with because its not as fragile.

Comment

Working...
                          X