• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickm
    • May 2004

OTW Upholder - Refit and Detailing

Hello and Happy Holidays to all,

I am a fan of the larger rc submarines. I had starting working on an OTW Type VII but quickly realized it will be a lengthy build. In the meantime, I sold my ArkModel Type VII and was interested in getting into something larger that I could have ready for Carmel and SubFest this next year. While at SubFest I purchased a built OTW Upholder hull. The boat was originally built by Bob Martin for a customer. If you are interested in the Upholder, Bob has a very nice 6 part build blog on YouTube that is well worth the time to watch.

When building a boat for a customer the amount of detail must be driven by how much money the customer wants to spend. It make much more sense to get the boat running and operating properly than waste a lot of money on shinny bits and pieces, so the detail of this boat was pretty much at a minimum.

Please understand, I am in no way saying I can or will improve on the build Bob did on this boat. Since it did not come with a WTC, and while I await one from OTW, I decided to use my time to add the shinny bits and pieces.

The OTW design and WTC are a tried and true package that many have bought, built and sailed over the years. So I see no reason to reinvent the wheel here so i'll be keeping everything pretty much to the design detail aspect of this fine boat. At least for now......
    So, lets get started.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB UPHOLDER FRT LFT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	138210
    This is pretty much how the boat looked (on the outside) when I obtained it.

Name:	HULL DECK-STERN.jpg
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	138211Click image for larger version

Name:	HULL DECK-BOW.jpg
Size:	808.3 KB
ID:	138212
    After a lot of measuring, modeling and 3d printing I had all the deck, tower and hull raised panels, hatches and other pieces attached in place.

Name:	HULL AND DECK FEATURES.jpg
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	138213
    There are a couple of pertinent features, not present in the original hull and tower, I thought should be added. These are the two deck walk ways around the base of the tower and the raised fillet at the back of the tower. These were made using Marine Tex Epoxy. This stuff is specifically made for marine applications and gets as hard as Superman's knee caps.

I decided the boat has a lot of usable area inside the tower and under the hull. This footprint should yield itself to working scopes and torpedo's and hopefully, diesel smoke.
    I started with the scopes as they are most important.

Name:	AIR FILL HATCH.jpg
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	138214Click image for larger version

Name:	HULL DECK HATCH-STERN-CLOSED.jpg
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	138223
    I want to use a phonematic system that can be operated on the workbench. My base thought process revolves around the air system used in rc aircraft. They can be charged independently, they can work on the bench and they can incorporate sequencers that will control the spend at which they move. A small air tank is located under the hull right in front of the rear deck opening.
    I added a operable recessed hatch in the rear location for the schrader valve.

Name:	PERISCOPE FLOOR TOP.jpg
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	138217
    I cut out the plate Bob had installed originally and 3d printed a new one that fit nice and snug in the top of the sail. This part is .75" thick.

Name:	PERISCOPE PLUGS.jpg
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	138218
    I then made 3d plugs for each scope opening with centering holes.

Name:	PERISCOPE PLUG-DRILLING.jpg
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	138219
    This made centering the scope holes easy in the center of each opening.

Name:	PERISCOPE ASSEMBLY-OUT.jpg
Size:	670.2 KB
ID:	138215
    This is the scope assembly. There will be four scopes moving when finished but right now the ESM is no hooked up. I plan to run this boat on 2.4 gh so the ESM will include the antenna which will protrude 2" above it. This will yield a full 6" of depth over the top of the tower before the antenna touches the water.

Name:	PERISCOPE ASSEMBLY-IN HULL.jpg
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	138216
    This is the assembly in the hull with the tower removed. The tower slips over the structure easily and is held in place by two thumb screws inside the hull.

This is a short video showing my working periscopes on my OTW Upholder model submarine.I hope you enjoy it.....

This is a link to a short video of the scopes working. You will notice, to get the induction unit to seat properly at rest, I had to make new scope heads. These are all milled of of aluminum.
    The shafts and sleeves are Stainless.

One last thing.

Name:	crew old.jpg
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	138220Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW CREW.jpg
Size:	701.4 KB
ID:	138222Click image for larger version

Name:	crew new 2.jpg
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	138221
    I believe all airplanes have pilots when in the air and all submarines have lookouts when on the surface. So, I had two crew members left over from my ArkModel Type VII. but they didn't look the part of modern day sailors. After a few Captain and Cokes, I morphed into my Dr. Frankenstein personality, cut them up and remembered them. lol

Happy Holidays,
    Mick
    Last edited by mickm; 12-21-2020, 11:40 PM.
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

great stuff Mick! superdetailing at its finest. looking forward to more on this build.

Comment

• mickm
      • May 2004

Thanks Sam, I'm pretty pleased with how it's going thus far.
      Happy Holidays,
      Mick

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Mick,
        You have a lot to be proud about on this sub, I want to see it running in the wild!
        The photos will be awesome.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• mickm
          • May 2004

Thanks Salmon for the kind words. I am proud of it thus far. I think having a great building block (OTW) is a hugh help.
          I will post up some pics when she goes to sea for sure.
          Happy Holidays,
          Mick

Comment

• mickm
            • May 2004

Name:	STAND PLACARD.jpg
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	135194
            The Upholder is getting close to having a new cylinder. Weather here is too yucky to paint so I thought I would take a design que from Bob Martin and make a stand and name placard.

Cheers!
            Mickm

Comment

• steveuk
              • Oct 2005

I like your improvements, Mick Well worth the extra work, and you have put your stamp on the model. Reworking the figures has completely succeeded! Nice work. I'm gonna guess this sub will be a bit a beast to pull out of the water?

Comment

• mickm
                • May 2004

Thanks steveuk for the kind words. I am having a lot of fun designing features and, like you said, "putting my stamp on it".
                Not sure about issues in getting it out of the water. Right now, it weights 13.6 lbs. which doesn't seem bad to me. But that is without the WTC, torpedo system and the diesel smoke system.
                More to come, lol.
                Happy Holidays,
                Mickm

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Mickm,
                  Diesel smoke system! That is something I have wanted to do for years. I think the Gato would look good belching out some smoke while pushing along on the surface. I have played with ideas, but it kept getting more and more complicated. There are misters or floggers that use water, I may try, but I really look forward to how you do yours and the solutions you come up with. Fun thread you have here and a beautiful sub too!
                  Peace,
                  Tom
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• steveuk
                    • Oct 2005

Mick, not forgetting the barrel load of water inside as you hoist it up to drain out. (Mind you, not nearly as bad as the Engel Typhoon. You need to be a weight lifter for that one!) What is the beam on your Upholder model?

Comment

• mickm
                      • May 2004

Salmon - I think the diesel smoke will be a neat feature. I am doing research as how best to proceed. The units I am reading about are pretty small and like you say, works with water Stay tuned to see how it works out.

steveuk - You are correct about it being heavy. The beam is 6". I plan to build a launching buddy to help in getting it in and out of the water.

Comment

• mickm
                        • May 2004

Hello all,
                        Continued work on the Upholder......
                        With the scope project being completed I have moved on the torpedo project. The first thing to address was opening and closing the shutters. I decided to use the lower outside shutters as this would yield room inside to house the WTC for the servos to operate everything and allow the controls for the doors to be place between the tubes.
                        The last video is a test to be certain the fish will exit the sub without hanging up. Both tubes worked as intended. Note: the pillow was never in any danger during this test fire!!!
                        Here are a couple videos showing everything in action.

Cheers!
                        Mick

Comment

Working...
                        X