• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steveneill
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jul 2009

Three new boats coming in...build thread will be here

I have a 1/48 scale VIIC, a 32 inch Nautilus, ad a Bronco Type 23 all inbound. I'll get the VIIC on Tuesday. These are all for me this time. It's been way overdue for me to build some boast again I have been missing.

I sold my 1/32 scale VIIC and the Nautilus 1/35 scale. As I age (68 now) the big boats are just getting less time at the pond and without a doubt the VIIC has always been a favorite of mine. So is the type 23 and when I saw Bronco had one of decent size I got one ordered from Bob Martin. Lucky for me he had one. I plan to make my own cylinder for it. The other two boats I'll be using his cylinders for.

Looking forward to it. Miss my two great friends I we lost here. Hard to build without thinking of them but it's nice to have them in my heart. This hobby has really gone through some changes over the last two years but we press on. I plan to as long as I remain.
    www.steveneillsgarage.com
  • steveuk
    • Oct 2005

Hi Steve, I look forward to seeing your builds. Are you going to work on all three together or do you focus on one each at a time ?

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by steveneill View Post
      I have a 1/48 scale VIIC, a 32 inch Nautilus, ad a Bronco Type 23 all inbound. I'll get the VIIC on Tuesday. These are all for me this time. It's been way overdue for me to build some boast again I have been missing.

I sold my 1/32 scale VIIC and the Nautilus 1/35 scale. As I age (68 now) the big boats are just getting less time at the pond and without a doubt the VIIC has always been a favorite of mine. So is the type 23 and when I saw Bronco had one of decent size I got one ordered from Bob Martin. Lucky for me he had one. I plan to make my own cylinder for it. The other two boats I'll be using his cylinders for.

Looking forward to it. Miss my two great friends I we lost here. Hard to build without thinking of them but it's nice to have them in my heart. This hobby has really gone through some changes over the last two years but we press on. I plan to as long as I remain.
      I’ll be watching those builds. I have the VIIc and XXIII as well.

Comment

• steveneill
        SubCommittee Member
        • Jul 2009

Well Sam get busy. I will kind of work back and forth on them. I got two of the boats today. The Nautilus WTC should work in both the Nautilus and the Type 23. I think. It's Merriman's new SAS cylinder. But to tell your the truth the 23 has always hit my soft spot. Don't know why. I guess it's just a cool looking boat!

Anyway I'm very excited. I have been missing subs with all the RC Gliders and Rockets I have been doing the last few years I'm caught up there and need new boats to play with.

Bob Martin has been great in helping me get everything I need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4852.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	134118

Name:	IMG-4855.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	134119

Name:	IMG-4856.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	134120

Comment

• steveneill
          SubCommittee Member
          • Jul 2009

This boat is a pretty smooth build. I did run into a bit of bind on the shafts but nothing a bit of rat tail filing could fix. The alignment to the shaft guide was a bit off but it works smoothly now. Whatever this plastic this is it doesn't break easy like styrene. It quite flexible. Some of it I might replace with brass.

David's WTC fits like a freaking glove (of course) ballast tank sits at the optimum location in the hull. Snort sits right under the sail. Good. smart and convenient. Thanks David.

I only get an hour or so a day with my busy schedule of taking care of customer orders for creature and monster masks. But when things are made this well and I don't need a lot of reinventing the wheel you can make good use of little time. It's my basket weaving at it's best!

Name:	IMG-4898.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	134483

Name:	IMG-4899.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	134484

Name:	IMG-4900.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	134485

Name:	IMG-4901.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	134486

Name:	IMG-4904.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	134487

Name:	IMG-4908.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	134488

Name:	IMG-4909.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	134489

Name:	IMG-4907.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	134490

Comment

• thor
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2009

Its great to see you still modeling subs, Steve!
            Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by steveneill View Post
              This boat is a pretty smooth build. I did run into a bit of bind on the shafts but nothing a bit of rat tail filing could fix. The alignment to the shaft guide was a bit off but it works smoothly now. Whatever this plastic this is it doesn't break easy like styrene. It quite flexible. Some of it I might replace with brass.

David's WTC fits like a freaking glove (of course) ballast tank sits at the optimum location in the hull. Snort sits right under the sail. Good. smart and convenient. Thanks David.

I only get an hour or so a day with my busy schedule of taking care of customer orders for creature and monster masks. But when things are made this well and I don't need a lot of reinventing the wheel you can make good use of little time. It's my basket weaving at it's best!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8808[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8809[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8810[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8811[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8812[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8813[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8814[/ATTACH]
              Steve- are you using the original plastic materials for the rudder posts, etc., or are you replacing with brass?

Comment

• steveneill
                SubCommittee Member
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sam reichart View Post
                Steve- are you using the original plastic materials for the rudder posts, etc., or are you replacing with brass?
                Sam all the originals. I know I'll break them one day and then maybe I'll replace them with brass. If I did that now I'd never finish the boat. It's just that busy at my studio. Little time to build.

Latest pictures since this place has been off line I haven't been posting. She's running all systems got it's now time to finish off the painting and weathering.

Name:	IMG-5164.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	134527

Name:	IMG-5142.jpgnet.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	134528

Comment

• steveneill
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Jul 2009

The boat was finished and tested and all went well.

Comment

Working...
                  X