Bringing 1/128 Seaview back to the pond!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Running the air hoses for the SAS system.
    On my Gato, I made a holder for 3/32" aluminum tubes that brought air to and from the pump.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _046b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	133158

So, I already had the mold and as it was, I cast periscopes for my Gato and this part is in the same mold. The resin I used is for a different project I am working on and whenever there is extra resin I cast extra parts. Now I did not have 3/32" Aluminum tubes or 1/8". I din not have any brass tube in 3/32", but I did have 1/8". I cut out two tubes the length I needed and drilled out the holes to fit 1/8".

Name:	Seaview _046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	133159

Cleaned up the flash on the parts and sanded the base of these tube holders against a length of tube the same diameter of the Sub-Driver.

Name:	Seaview _047.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	133160 Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _048.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	133161

For the meantime, I will not affix these to the WTC tube. I need to see if I like the fact the tubes cross over the vent.

Name:	Seaview _049.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	133162

Since these tubes are 1/8" and not the 3/32" it is a little tougher to get the hose connected. Tougher not impossible. I used a scratch awl to widen the end and a flame to warm up the hose. Then relatively quickly push the end over the tube.

Name:	Seaview _051.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	133163 Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _050.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	133164

It still is a challenge, but persistence paid off.

Name:	Seaview _052.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	133165

Time to install the Sub-Driver into the sub and test servo movement and see how the push rods worked out.

Name:	Seaview _053.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	133166Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _054.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	133167

Name:	Seaview _055.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	133168

The magnet is placed against the deck towards the bow. A vent hole happens to be a perfect locator for where the switch is underneath.

Name:	Seaview _056.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	133169
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Testing the rudder:

Name:	Seaview _057.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	133170Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _058.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	133171

YES! It worked.

Bow planes:

Name:	Seaview _059.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	133172Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _060.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	133173

I think that works.

Now the Sail planes.

Name:	Seaview _061.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	133174Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _062.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	133175

Two out of three is not bad. This will be a reasonably easy fix.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bob_eissler
        SubCommittee Member
        • Aug 2005

Nice Job! My bow planes have never worked very well, way too flexy. Most people didn't try to make them work.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Bob,
          There is a little slop in the movement that I need to look at. It seems the travel distance is good, but I can wiggle the planes. It will be nteresting to see what happens in the water.

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Played more with the sail dive planes and I found the issue with travel. It was interference from the air hoses. When they get permanently mounted and extra trimmed off, there may still be a little more reshaping of the push rod to not bind as it moves forward and backwards. What little I did gave me full throw both ways!

I guess-timated the amount of weight the sub would need and placed it where I thought it would be needed (right below ballast tank) and some towards the bow. Made sure the Sub-Driver was sealed and ready to be tested.

Placed the sub in the water and the aft immediately sank. Lifting to see how much it resisted I could tell I need some bigger chunks of foam. I trim my subs in the submerged state first and then surface trim. Flooded the ballast tank by tipping the sub over to make sure all the air was out. The sub settled to the bottom of the tub. Definitely do not need more weight. So I added a chunk of foam on each side of the Cadillac wings aft. That brought the aft up, but the bow was still heavy. So, I placed one block a lot smaller in size (lifting the bow, it moved relatively easy) under the bow of the sub. The large foam blocks in the back were trimmed down in size until the boat leveled out and the front block I cut in half so a piece can be on either side.

Name:	Seaview _063.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	133178

Some fine tuning was done to the front and back foam until it settled lower in the water to this point.

Name:	Seaview _064.jpg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	133179

That looked great to me.

Now emptied the ballast tank to see where the boat sat.

Name:	Seaview _065.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	133180

I was surprised how much it raised up to. Again, it looked good, but I was not sure if the bow was to be higher out of the water. As it is, the waterline went to the top of the windows.

Name:	Seaview _069.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	133181Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _068.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	133182

Moving the foam to below the waterline it lifted the front to where the water was about the middle of the front windows.

Name:	Seaview _070.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	133183Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _071.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	133184

Time to take out the sub and record the locations of here the foam is.

Name:	Seaview _072.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	133185Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _073.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	133186

We will have to trim again because those large blocks in the aft end, will not just fit into the inside. I will need to shape and install the foam trying to distribute the foam's mass to give the same lift as it does as one chunk. I will try to explain that when I install the foam and document it (please let me know if I am making it clear as mud or not).
            Looking at the foam in the front, I might be able to remove another weight out of the sub and forgo most of this foam. I will test that in the next couple of days.
            So here is the weight from the original install that I did not put back in.

Name:	Seaview _074.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	133187

Until next time.....

Comment

• salmon
              Treasurer
              • Jul 2011

There are a couple of ares that came up from the water test.
              1. When venting the ballast tank, it seemed to go very slow.
              2. I wired my motors wrong.

The vent was a very simple fix. There are 2 wheel collars on the vent servo pushrod. I moved the collars further away from the servo about 1/8". Tested it in the tub and the tank emptied in seconds. However, when the vent was closed it leaked (like a bubble every second or two). To correct this I moved the collars back towards the ballast tank servo a smidgeon. That was just enough to stop the trickle of bubbles.

Tonight or tomorrow, I will get the motors rewired. Also begin the re-testing of trim with another chunk of lead removed.
              Last edited by salmon; 03-31-2019, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

I did not get to trimming. There were other areas nagging me. I wired the motors like my Gato one turned one direction and the other opposite direction. However, When I tested the forward and reverse thrust, one side pushed and the other, well didn't. Turns out, the props are both right hand turning props (verifies with Mr. Merriman). The motors got rewired.

The sail plane is a odd heavy plane. It flops around and it just annoyed me. I also wondered if it got bumped while running it would flop in such a way that it would get lost from the magnetic connector. To stop the flop, I put a piece of plastic in to prevent the rotation.

Name:	Seaview _079.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	133202

That seemed to work.

Name:	Seaview _080.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	133203Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _081.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	133204

Another concern was something mentioned by Bob Eissler about volume of air being taken up by the batteries. I moved the SAS air intake valve up higher. Hopefully it will break the surface and open up before exhausting the available air in the cylinder. Just an extra margin of safety (or that is what I keep telling myself). If it works, it was a good idea. If not, well it will go down as another dumb idea.
                So, to accomplish this idea, I put a smaller rod into the existing intake air tube and that smaller tube joined another tube that matched the existing air line in diameter (1/8"). Now you might be wondering why I did not take the existing tube out and just replace with a newer longer one. The answer is two fold. First, the tube was securely glued in and I probably could have gotten it out, but it would have destroyed the tube and that leads into the second reason. I did not have any longer pieces of 1/8" brass tube (I used the 1/8" on the WTC air tubes on top of the WTC).

Name:	Seaview _075.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	133205

Raising this were the top of the valve touched the top of the sail inside.

Name:	Seaview _076.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	133201

Now to secure this to the base made earlier, I cut two more plastic squares and drilled a 1/8" hole in the center. The two squares were bonded together. This was enough of a support to keep the extension from moving around. I used RTV silicon to secure the tube to the new plastic base and secure the new base to the original.

Name:	Seaview _077.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	133206

Spacers are installed until it all cures.

Name:	Seaview _078.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	133207
                Last edited by salmon; 04-01-2019, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

The air tubes needed to get affixed to the Sub-Driver tube.
                  Once I decided the placement, I put painters tape outlining the base of the tube holders.

Name:	Seaview _082.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	133208

Then moving the tube holder away, roughed up the cylinder's tube with a course sandpaper. The tape protects the tube so only the area beneath the holder will get roughened up.

Name:	Seaview _083.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	133209

Dabbed on some RTV silicon and placed the tube holder back into the location blocked out by the tape.

Name:	Seaview _084.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	133210

I used masking tape to hold the tubes and tube holder down.

Name:	Seaview _085.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	133211

Carefully removed the painters tape. This then took the extra RTV, that may have oozed out, away before it set. Extra masking tape was place to keep everything secure until fully cured.

Name:	Seaview _086.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	133212

I will call this done for today. Maybe tomorrow will be a day of cutting foam and playing with trim. I want to see if I can forgo the front foam by removing the one weight removed.
                  Last edited by salmon; 03-31-2019, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• salmon
                    Treasurer
                    • Jul 2011

The large blocks that need to go in the aft area need to be shaped and installed. The blocks cannot just be put in here because we have Push rods, drive shafts, and curved walls need to be taken into account.
                    So shaping begins.

Name:	Seaview _087.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	133213

The inside face of the foam that fits next to the cylinder needs to get a curve too.

Name:	Seaview _088.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	133214

Everything gets tested and shaped.

Name:	Seaview _089.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	133215

One I was happy, yeah my bar is set low, I placed RTV rubber on. Why am I doing vertical lines? Well, there is a story to that answer. My Gato when first put in water after not being wet will set higher. After being in the water it will slowly settle down. When I was building it, I had strange things happen. One moment it was trimmed well and the next it was heavy. I came with the theory that I have areas trapped behind the foam that slowly release the air trapped there. To test this thought. I put the Gato in the kiddie pool and filled the ballast tank. After a time, I do not remember how long, let's say an hour. I came back out to find the sub sitting on the bottom of the kiddie pool.
                    Now back to the vertical stripes. My thinking is any air will be able to travel out and not be trapped by any horizontal rubber sealing or slowing air from escaping.

Name:	Seaview _090.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	133240
                    With all the trimming and shaping, I am losing some of that foam. This is some of the bits and pieces trimmed off.

Name:	Seaview _091.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	133216
                    Stacking it helps me work on guesstimating how much more I need to add to make up for what was lost during shaping.

Name:	Seaview _092.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	133217t

Another point about trimming and adding of foam (and weight for that matter). Location makes a difference. Let us say my aft is heavy. If I put 1" cube at the very end of the sub and for discussion sake, that made the trim perfect, if I move the foam inwards say 4", the sub will become heavy in the aft. The opposite is true too. If I put a foam that is 12" from the aft of the boat and the boat is level, if I move the foam further back the aft end will begin to rise. So, I mention this because the chunk of foam I used, I need to try distribute it to match the one piece lift that is now spread over a larger area.

Name:	Seaview _093.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	133218Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _094.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	133219
                    Last edited by salmon; 04-12-2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• bob_eissler
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Aug 2005

Lifting the float up is a great idea, has to help. I think I have had foam trap air too.

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

Did some testing on Monday (got sick yesterday - sorry for not posting sooner).

Moving the float up higher did indeed help!
                        Had to add weight back in. The sub on surfacing has the tendency to roll (like the Gato does) as the ballast tank is emptying because of the large amount of freeboard we are hoisting into the air. Once empty or surface trim it sat fine and fully submerged it was fine, it is just that transition. The way I reduced the roll in the Gato was to add weight and offset it with more foam (increase metacentric height).

I will post photos and more info as I will test again tonight.
                        Last edited by salmon; 04-03-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• salmon
                          Treasurer
                          • Jul 2011

There was just a little bit of foam needed to get it level.

Name:	Seaview _096.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	133220
                          I thought great I'm done, but bringing it to the surface i dipped to the side almost looking like it was going to roll over!
                          I have seen this before.

The Gato sub was a great learning sub for me. This sub has a similar quality, we are moving a lot above the surface of the water and it is a narrow sub. What I learned was you need to add more weight and more foam to over come the tipping or reduce it significantly. I put just one of the weights in, the largest one of the three and went back to trimming.

Several chunks of foam and when it was level, the sail was higher than I wanted. Added a little more weight. The weight was put just behind the sail, but let me show how position can make a big difference in trim. I took a small weight and moved it aft.

Name:	Seaview _097.jpg
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	133221
                          Looking at the sail, you can see just how tail heavy it is now.

Name:	Seaview _098.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	133222

Now moving that same weight closer to the sail it changes the trim.

Name:	Seaview _099.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	133223
                          The tale of the sail shows a much closer to level trim.

Name:	Seaview _100.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	133224

I know the bow area has plenty of room for the foam so minimal loss of foam to make it fit. The aft area is a bit more challenging and you do your best to arrange it and trim it to fit. Once it was all installed, another day and it is time to see where we are at.

Placing the sub in the water the aft was still heavy. Two more blocks are added and attached.

Name:	Seaview _102.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	133225
                          Another day to let the RTV to setup and we will see where we are at.

Comment

• salmon
                            Treasurer
                            • Jul 2011

Back to the tub, the gremlins keep showing up. The entire sub sank. It sits great on the surface. More foam, but more in the center for lift. Maybe a slight bit aft heavy and certainly lower than I wanted.

Name:	Seaview _103.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	133226

Added two small blocks to lift it higher in the water and just a bit to lift the rear up.

Name:	Seaview _104.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	133227

Name:	Seaview _105.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	133229

That leveled it out and I like the height it sits at.

Name:	Seaview _106.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	133228

Since I was affixing the foam under the deck, I wanted to make sure air can travel. I suspect some of the variance I am seeing is air trapped. Filed a channel that should work at directing air.

Name:	Seaview _107.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	133230

Comment

• salmon
                              Treasurer
                              • Jul 2011

Tested and I think we are ready for the pond!

Name:	Seaview _108.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	133233

A brief video.

Comment

• salmon
                                Treasurer
                                • Jul 2011

A little work before I take the Seaview to the pond this weekend.
                                I moved one of the straps to the front of the WTC. Originally both were towards the aft and I liked it better being held in place on the extreme ends.

Name:	Seaview _109.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	133249Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _110.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	133250Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _111.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	133251

I went ahead and made my own radar for the Seaview.

Name:	Seaview _112.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	133252Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview _113.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	133253

Now it is fairly delicate (powder type 3D printer) and was post processed with a thin CA glue, but to kick it up a notch, I soaked in Marine grade epoxy.

Name:	Seaview _114.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	133254
                                The extras are for the times I break them (I have a gift of doing that). Maybe I will never need them, but if I do.....
                                Once the epoxy dries, I will lightly sand the surface to smooth out the sandstone type finish and paint on a flat clear coat.

Comment

Working...
                                X