X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Project971
    • Dec 2018

Radio recommendations

I am very new to the world of RC subs and got my first kit, a Dumas Akula, recently. I am at the point in the build that I need a controller and receiver. I have an aircraft controller that I thought would work until I learned about the frequencies needed. What is a good, somewhat budget friendly, controller/receiver combo for this sub? It is a fairly simple sub and only needs forward and reverse throttle, dive plane pitch and rudder control. Thanks
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Welcome to the world of R/C subs!

Assuming that you're in North America, you'll be looking for a 75MHz radio and one with at least 4 channels. Something like the Futaba Skysport 4 would fit the bill. That said, if you think you will be building additional subs that include capabilities like a ballast system, bow planes, etc. then you should look for a radio with at least 6 channels.

Radios that operate on the 75MHz band are getting more difficult to find given the wholesale changeover of the rest of the R/C community to 2.4GHz radios. You can find used ones on sites like http://www.rcgroups.com or a few places that still have new radios in stock. One of our SubCommittee vendor members has radios on hand - Nautilus Drydocks. You can find them at: https://www.rc-submarine.com

...hope this helps!

Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Chuck
      • May 2015

The reply that JWLaRue gave is spot on. The most important thing to remember in NOT to waste your time and money on 2.4 GHz radio equipment....it simply will not work in a submarine. Also, Nautilus Drydocks Bob Martin is a very reliable and ethical guy.

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

Plus he has some radios on sale!
        Check out his list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ZVc/edit#gid=0
        Better yet, send him an email: sales@nautilusdrydocks.com
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Project971
          • Dec 2018

Great! Ill look into it. Thanks!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            No one
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            The reply that JWLaRue gave is spot on. The most important thing to remember in NOT to waste your time and money on 2.4 GHz radio equipment....it simply will not work in a submarine. Also, Nautilus Drydocks Bob Martin is a very reliable and ethical guy.
            I disagree. Proof........

591 Underway at Groton, 2.4GHz Radio

591 Underway at Lake Ronkonkoma, 2.4GHz Radio

To blatantly say that 2.4ghz not good for Submarines and a waste of money is NOT correct. All you have to do run a coax up a scope. It's a good thing for helping in not losing sight of your sub in most environments.

Mike Dory ran for years at held at PD due to the brackish water he sailed in, in fact most of us do who do not have regular access to a pool. Skip Asay's regular comments to people who flew planes saying you can't see it would be..."Of course we see it, that's what the scope is for." WE don't lose sight of it either. With THAT wisdom in mind, 2.4GHz is fine. AGAIN providing you run it up a scope.

Try losing sight of your scope 20 yds out in a deep lake. That'll give you pucker factor.

I run 2.4ghz regularly and actually prefer it over glitchy 75mhz. No hogged Frequency Flags either and I love my $15 8 channels receivers readily available

It ALL depends on your application...not some universal statement as stated above.

75Mhz for submerging beyond the 'scope, or the Prototype doesn't have one (Disney NAUTILUS, Fantastic Voyage PROTEUS, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea FLYING SUB). Pool Running and brave submergence (or close aboard) in a natural body of water.
            2.4ghz limited to Periscope Depth, some technical expertise to solder the coax, but hey I did. Rock solid operation due to Packet Rejection. All but my PROTEUS and NAUTILUS have 2.4GHz units (6 out of 8 units)

Just want you to have ALL the facts. CHOOSE the application best suited for you.

Decide how the model is mostly used (environment, are you willing to lose sight of it? Like in a dark lake??) , availability and pricing of the Command and Control System, and your skill level.
            Last edited by QuarterMaster; 12-19-2018, 01:22 AM.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• David F
              SubCommittee Member
              • Jan 2016

Interestingly quite a few options are available.

You may also add 915Mhz openLRS to the list. Small, cheap equipment with useful add-ons such as Telemetry and the ability to control down to about 6 feet if you happen to dip below periscope depth. Frequency hopping so no Frequency Flags. Pioneered by Tim Senecal on this Forum. Still a bit "computer-techie" though.

I have been using nothing else for about 4 years here in the UK, on the 458Mhz legal UK frequency.

David

Comment

Here in Germany we rely on the "old" 40 MHz band.

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
                Welcome to the world of R/C subs!

Assuming that you're in North America, you'll be looking for a 75MHz radio and one with at least 4 channels. Something like the Futaba Skysport 4 would fit the bill. That said, if you think you will be building additional subs that include capabilities like a ballast system, bow planes, etc. then you should look for a radio with at least 6 channels.

Radios that operate on the 75MHz band are getting more difficult to find given the wholesale changeover of the rest of the R/C community to 2.4GHz radios. You can find used ones on sites like http://www.rcgroups.com or a few places that still have new radios in stock. One of our SubCommittee vendor members has radios on hand - Nautilus Drydocks. You can find them at: https://www.rc-submarine.com

...hope this helps!

Jeff

Comment

• coryhenry
                  • Jun 2020

I have to say I love converting to 2.4. It is so much more reliable and easy to work with. I spend 99% of my time at periscope depth anyway since I run in saltwater.

Comment

Just give me a minute ...

... following the epic "rule that lower frequencies are better.

Why not getting back to 27 MHz ?

Today toys are exclusively equipped with 2,4 GHz systems and truckers meanwhile rely on cell phones.

Agreed, there are no modern RC transmitters / receivers around, but setting up a reliable 27 MHz system is nowerdays NOT THAT COMPLICATED.

Maybe some folks with dedicated experience would be interested to start such a 27 MHz project ? !

Comment

• cheapsub
                      • Feb 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_155152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	645.7 KB
ID:	136042

Got the transmitter part. up to 16 channel.
                      But no solution for receiver yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X