X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VerneMan
    • Oct 2018

possible RC hull?

I've produced a rather large ( 65 inch LOA ) Nautilus model via 3d printing as a pet project for a static display but all my friends have asked me if I am going to make an RC rig...I have zero expertise in that area, printing and assembling this prototype was quite enough for me, but the question got me wondering if any RC enthusiasts would like to take a crack at it? This prototype has a pretty thick hull and maybe it would make a good platform? The first draft is printed quick and rough from PLA to keep development costs down but I am planning on re-printing at a higher resolution and a more durable material, such as Carbon fiber ABS for instance, which would be pretty stiff/strong. Probably the most sensible scenario would be to sell the files and let the end user print it ( or a friend ) rather than try to ship this monster, or perhaps print it out and send it as a kit instead of assembled? ( would doubtless be easier to install the innards that way.) Anyway, just thought to post here and see if there is any interest,
    Mahalo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	top stern.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	137445Click image for larger version

Name:	top bow.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	137446Click image for larger version

Name:	top midships.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	137447Click image for larger version

Name:	hull on stand.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	137448
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

PM sent! I'd love to talk more about this, as an RC sub supplier and a fan of the Nautilus in general.
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

Hi -

in case you want to realize a carbon hull, forget about any antenna inside this hull. Latter one will act as a Faraday cage with no hope to receive any signal.

You will need to route your antenna outside the hull.

Not tragic with a classic Nautilus, since a long antenna will perfectly fit its design.

Comment

Working...
      X