• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    No one
    • Jul 2003

SSN-591 Ballast Displacement System: Functional Testing

Well, it's been a while since I documented a build. Certainly not due to lack of subject material, but more due to the inability to produce. One can partially blame the end of support for "GoPro" Studio for that.
    On the other hand, us "NUB's" on "Lawn-guy-land" had a very active season.

More videos to come.

As for this video, all I can say is……..

But, Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain;
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley,
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

SSN-591 Ballast Displacement System: Functional Testing

Another in the "Not so reality TV" Series brought to you by.....
    INDIVIDUAL ANEMICS Electric Model Boat Division
    ...a "sub" Division of MRCSB (where the rent is TOO DAMN HIGH!!)
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • bob_eissler
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2005

Thanks Quartermaster! Your tests show some of the things that I have been thinking about for a ballast system but have never tested yet so I have some questions for you.
    1st: I have the same pumps and they pump in only one direction even when you you reverse the voltage. Is there any bypass thru the pump when they are not energized?
    2nd: What happens when you get rid of the white valve and pump water in and out of the chamber without an outlet? My theory is that the air in the chamber will collapse some and water will enter but only partially fill the chamber. Then most of the water should be pumped out with little loss of air by the opposite pump.
    Now how about if you add a piston in the chamber to keep the air and water separate when ;you pump the water in and out?
    Is this more efficient?
    Actually I think now this is similar to a ballast tank that Thor is thinking about if I remember right.

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

I'm 3D printing parts for the prototype now. The first unit will be a 3" cylinder with a 2.5" internal cylinder/piston. The entire system mounts on a 4 rail tech frame that mounts to the aft cylinder endcap/motor bulkhead. I've dispensed with the hard piston and have opted for a "soft" piston molded from a semi-rigid rubber. This allows for a bit more slop in tolerance and makes the unit mass producible. The hard piston/hard cylinder requires way too much dialing in to make it commercially viable.
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• sgtmac1
        SubCommittee Member
        • Oct 2014

Cylinder for a single prop Virginia class...

Do you have any pics to further describe your cylinder? I am building my 1/72 Virginia-class USS ILLINOIS and am trying to figure out how to attach the cylinder to aft end of the boat and slide it into the main hull, maybe on some kind of rail to keep everything lined up. The kit I bought is 3d printed pla material and has a pvc central body with fore and aft hull parts with no way to get to the internals without cutting some kind of access hole or pulling one end off.
        Attached Files

Comment

• thor
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2009

As I get all the parts printed and assembled I'll post some photos. I'm just getting started.
          Regards,

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X