USS Plunger (SSN 595) towed array fairing dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rshoker
    • Mar 2018

USS Plunger (SSN 595) towed array fairing dimensions?

Can anyone tell me what the dimensions (initial width and center height) of the towed array fairing? I am building the Plunger in her final configuration and the fairing is one of the many mods I need to add to Matt Thor's excellent 1/96 th scale kit. I have made what I think are some pretty good guesses off of photos, but I thought I should ask. I was also thinking of either casting the final or just cutting one out of styrene and taking my time to work it into shape. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! Randy
  • steveuk
    • Oct 2005

I made mine by making a screeding tool, a thin flat sheet with the cross section filed out (a concave curve ). Then I super-glued a thin plasticard strip footprint of the fairing along the hull. This is for the screeding tool to run along. After a series of successive passes with fresh car body filler, using the tool to scrape off the excess, you will end up with a smooth conforming fairing shape along you hull. Do you have a set of drawings, this will at least give you the correct width for the fairing footprint and cross section?

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

I'll look it up on the prints this weekend. I'm late getting back to the shop this week.
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• rshoker
        • Mar 2018

Thanks guys! I like the bondo idea. Randy

Comment

Working...
        X