• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdivine
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2010

3d Printed Red October

I figured this is where I should put my final work on my 3d printed Red October model. NOTE this is not intended to be an RC sub. Just a scale model for fun as I've always wanted one since there was never anything even close produced save the actual movie model.

This was printed in carbon fiber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RO rear angle.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	137344Click image for larger version

Name:	ro front angle.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	137345Click image for larger version

Name:	RO prints v1.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	137343Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	137341Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	137342
  • steveuk
    • Oct 2005

This is nice work. I would like to build one of these for RC. Essentially Red October appears to be based on the Italleri version Typhoon. These were modelled with the Beaver tail sterns when they didnt know how the stern of the real Typhoons looked. Then someone snapped some pics of one in a floating drydock whilst on holiday. Whatever happened to military secrets!?

Comment

• coryhenry
      • Jun 2020

Any particular reason you chose carbon fiber? For a model that is pretty expensive.

Comment

• X Bubblehead
        • Sep 2017

This looks like carbon fiber-infused filament. It's very abrasive and requires hardened nozzles. It costs more than your average filament but provides stronger printed objects.

One example here: https://atomicfilament.com/collectio...black-petg-pro

CCC

Comment

• bob the builder
          Former SC President
          • Feb 2003

RED ALERT!

Carbon fiber can block RF. Run your antenna in your boat and you'll have issues with getting signal through to the sub. Your only choice is to run the whole thing outside the boat now, Chad.

Bob
          The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• eckloss
            • Nov 2003

Not to worry, Bob. He stated this was a static model, not intended for r/c.

But good info to know!

Comment

• cdivine
              SubCommittee Member
              • Mar 2010

My model is 100% based on the movie model which is clearly not based on anything real, which makes it that much more awesome. Im a scifi nut. I could care less about how real something is. I just want it to look perfectly like it's original design so I obsessed about it. Hard to say to what degree of authentic reproduction mine is given I was not in the presence of the actual movie model, but rather every single shot I could find online. I did not use the Revell model in any way to design this BTW. Also, I used CF plastic printing because I worked at a boat builder called StanCraft Boats as a web and CAD designer. They had a really nice carbon fiber printer I had direct access to so I used it to build this since all I wanted was a static model of October. I would be happy to modify my model to accommodate someone wishing to create molds. However, I would require payment for such work in advance. If this is something you are serious about it will get expensive. Think ballpark 2k for my CAD time. You can PM me if you're interested. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X