After all these years, What have you found to be the best paint for your working Subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike dory
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2004

After all these years, What have you found to be the best paint for your working Subs

O.K. Guy's, After all the years, what have you found to be the best paint for your working R/C Sub Fleet? Mike Dory
  • crueby
    • May 2015

One I have found recently is the Duplicolr spray on engine enamel with ceramic. Made as a high temperature paint, it is generally tough and abrasion resistant. Not a lot of colirs, but good for basic black on main hull. No baking on needed like most high temp paints.

Comment

• eckloss
      • Nov 2003

I'm going to second the DupliColor. I get it from my local auto parts store. The basic primer comes in a very dark gray, almost black. Perfect for nukes. There is also a brick red primer that matches anti-fouling red very well. I've also found both, plus a light gray that I use for first layer priming, in high-build formulas as well. Good for covering and leveling out slight scratches or sanding marks. Dries quickly and is tough as nails.

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

...in general Testors ModelMaster for good scale colors and handles the usual bumping and banging that all of our subs get.

Used to use Krylon for the basic red/black for U.S. nuke boats, but ever since Krylon reformulated their paint it's been crap.

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• sam reichart
          Past President
          • Feb 2003

Once upon a time, Floquil made a great paint that I used on my Thor LA. I'm pretty sure (too lazy to check at the moment... ) it's no longer manufactured.

Comment

• chips
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by sam reichart View Post
            Once upon a time, Floquil made a great paint that I used on my Thor LA. I'm pretty sure (too lazy to check at the moment... ) it's no longer manufactured.
            Testor's bought Floquil a few years ago, Testor's discontinued most of the railroad colors. The Floquil line used to have several different colors that were great for shading a boat: Engine Black; Tarnished Black; Oily Black; Oxide Red; and Special Oxide red.

I use a lot of Testor's Model Master Acryl paints, with a clear coat. On my Disney NUATILUS, I used several different colors of AlClad II lacquers: dull aluminum; steel; burnt iron; exhaust manifold; and pale burnt metal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7579.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	131738 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7600.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	131739

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

The Tamiya lacquer line is very close to Floquil in color selection & quality. I've been using it for a few years and I really like the stuff.
              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• tommydeen
                • Nov 2003

Yes floquil i though had great colors that suited us well
                I found a new paint that is an enamel but havent tested it yeat
                And the colors are matched to the old floquil colors
                Its called “true-color paint”. They have a grimmy black that looks
                Good
                sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  No one
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by crueby View Post
                  One I have found recently is the Duplicolr spray on engine enamel with ceramic. Made as a high temperature paint, it is generally tough and abrasion resistant. Not a lot of colirs, but good for basic black on main hull. No baking on needed like most high temp paints.
                  Originally posted by eckloss View Post
                  I'm going to second the DupliColor. I get it from my local auto parts store. The basic primer comes in a very dark gray, almost black. Perfect for nukes. There is also a brick red primer that matches anti-fouling red very well. I've also found both, plus a light gray that I use for first layer priming, in high-build formulas as well. Good for covering and leveling out slight scratches or sanding marks. Dries quickly and is tough as nails.
                  You folks have any specific P/N's for those colors? Should be on the can.

Quite a bit to choose from at their web site.
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                  NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                  USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...
                  X