Proposed changes to 40 megahertz in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern or
    • May 2014

Proposed changes to 40 megahertz in the USA?

I was going to put this in the news, but I think R/C would be more appropriate. I was looking for something else when I accidentally found this FCC factsheet from March. Page 5 is rather interesting, but I have no real idea what most of this means.

From page 5:

A. Band Plan
    8. In the Fifth Further Notice, the Commission sought comment on the current 4.9 GHz band plan, which divides the band into ten one-megahertz channels (Channels 1–5 and 14–18) and eight five-megahertz channels (Channels 6–13), and limits channel aggregation bandwidth to 20 megahertz.17 The NPSTC Plan proposes to keep this channelization, but recommends aggregating Channels 1–5 into a single 5 megahertz channel designated for air-to-ground communications and robotic use18 and proposes to reduce the current channel aggregation limit from 20 to 10 megahertz.19 The APCO Report proposes no band plan changes but calls for relaxing the 20 megahertz channel aggregation limit, arguing that this would enable the band to accommodate 40 megahertz products that are currently available only outside the U.S.,20 which relaxation could “create a better business case for manufacturers,” and would “provide more options for rural deployments.”21

Any thoughts?

• salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Oh, say it is so! Be still my beating heart!

That is a great find!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

That would be excellent!
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

Agreed...there are some really nice, relatively new 40MHz radios available in the European market....

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• aeroengineer1
          • May 2005

I believe that this is in relation to the overall 4.9GHz band plan and the overall bandwidth that each of these devices can use.

Comment

40 MHz in Europe

Originally posted by JWLaRue View Post
            Agreed...there are some really nice, relatively new 40MHz radios available in the European market....

-Jeff
            At least here in Germany, 40 MHz was always (from the 1960ies on) a solid alternative to the more and more overcrowded 27 MHz band (CB at these times).

Nowadays, since CB is no issue any more (at least here) and even cheap RC toys moved to 35 MHz and now to 2.4 GHz, the good old 40 MHz and even the (for subs more usable) 27 MHz are are a safe area in the spectral bands.

Cheers

Volker

Comment

Working...
            X