• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

1:300 SeaQuest DSV - New kit from the Nautilus Drydocks

As some of you know, I've been working for a while now to bring to market a new, large-scale kit of the SeaQuest from the 90's TV series, "SeaQuest DSV".

With the help of William Babington, we acquired and laser-scanned the actual wooden maquette used to create the digital files for the TV show. This scan was duplicated, flipped, and assembled into a complete mesh for the sub. Additional details were added via cues from the TV series (huge thanks to Will for dedicating dozens of hours to scour the entire show for us!). The scale is 1:300, putting the boat at approximately 40.24" overall length. This makes a realistic size for display, but also allows adequate room to convert to R/C (a life-long dream of mine!).

As far as I know, this will be the most accurate version of the boat available.

Some of you may recall the 50" version that I started a while back. Having learned from that first attempt, I re-engineered the prints and added detail, adjust the scale to 1:300. That original master pattern was actually sold to a father/son team calling themselves Rapidnadion and they're having a go at converting it to R/C. It looks like their efforts may have somewhat stalled, but I haven't heard from them in a while. They have a channel on Youtube that you can check out if you want to see their preliminary efforts.

With the help of Jim Key of Custom Replicas in California, we are now at the point where we are running castings. These castings will be done in clear, blue-tinted resin that should allow internal lighting of the many areas of the boat that call for it (such as all the windows!).

As it stands now, I hope to have the prototype castings to me by Christmas, an assembled kit in place by the new year, and open up orders by the first week of January.

I'll post more up information here as it comes. Look for a pre-order section of my website at www.nautilusdrydocks.com to open up in the coming week or two that will offer a discounted price as well as a free copy of our limited-edition 24"x36" poster to the first 10 people who pay in full.

I'm really excited about this kit (even if no one else is!). I think it should be a great performer for R/C with a gimbaled jet drive in the rear.

Questions? Comments? Let me know! I'd love to hear from you.

Bob

Kit overview:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160523_045345.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	136831

Limited Edition Poster:

Name:	Poster_proof.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	136833

Closeup of rear drive section assembly:

Name:	20160521_070649.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	136830

First test castings of main body sections:

Name:	1st test castings.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	136829

Rubber molds for roto-casting:

Name:	20161130_152004.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	136832
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

Now that is just cool! I want one!
    Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bob_eissler
      SubCommittee Member
      • Aug 2005

Nice! Putting it on my wish list.

Comment

• bigdave
        • Feb 2003

Must not think about this!
        Crapola! Just thought about it! BD
        sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
        "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• crueby
          • May 2015

Quite an interesting shape to do! I don't recall from the show, was there much in the way of moveable control surfaces on it? could be an interesting one to put side/top/bottom thrusters near the front and rear...

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Bob, I went to your site and did not see the page for this hull. What dumb thing did I do?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bigdave
              • Feb 2003

I think he said more info in a week or two. BD

Comment

• bigdave
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by crueby View Post
                Quite an interesting shape to do! I don't recall from the show, was there much in the way of moveable control surfaces on it? could be an interesting one to put side/top/bottom thrusters near the front and rear...
                No need Speedy.
                Vectored thrust should work fine.
                Like my Vector sub but with a pump inside with flow directors.
                Prudence would say use a pump jet with moveable vanes.
                But as my name is not Prudence I would probably Tim the Toolman it and go jet pump with a steering nozzle.
                Zoom Zoom!
                But as I said I am trying not to think about it. BD

Comment

• salmon
                  Treasurer
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by bigdave View Post
                  I think he said more info in a week or two. BD
                  Right you are......i read it wrong and missed that. Thank you!
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crueby
                    • May 2015

No need Speedy.
                    Vectored thrust should work fine.
                    Like my Vector sub but with a pump inside with flow directors.
                    Prudence would say use a pump jet with moveable vanes.
                    But as my name is not Prudence I would probably Tim the Toolman it and go jet pump with a steering nozzle.
                    Zoom Zoom!
                    But as I said I am trying not to think about it. BD
                    So the other part of the question, does anyone know what the control surface setup or vector thrust or whatever ghat the tv show sub used? Always nice to be historically accurate to a fictional device!

Comment

• bob the builder
                      Former SC President
                      • Feb 2003

If I remember the series correctly, the massive rear fins were deployed and stowed as one array. I can't remember seeing them moving independently. The rear engine nacelle has four gimballed jets in an "X" formation, (not a "+"). I assume these directed the thrust for steering and pitch control. No other control surfaces are evident on the hull.

Dave, once I get a hull of my own to R/C I plan a jet pump solution, just as you mentioned. If one wanted to get crazy, one could articulate the stock jets, but they're pretty small in area. I say that one big vectored thrust nozzle will look cool as all heck, work like a charm, be easy to implement, and allow for some really neat internal lighting for further effect, too!

Hoping to have the first test castings in my hands within a week.
                      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• crueby
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by bob the builder View Post
                        If I remember the series correctly, the massive rear fins were deployed and stowed as one array. I can't remember seeing them moving independently. The rear engine nacelle has four gimballed jets in an "X" formation, (not a "+"). I assume these directed the thrust for steering and pitch control. No other control surfaces are evident on the hull.

Dave, once I get a hull of my own to R/C I plan a jet pump solution, just as you mentioned. If one wanted to get crazy, one could articulate the stock jets, but they're pretty small in area. I say that one big vectored thrust nozzle will look cool as all heck, work like a charm, be easy to implement, and allow for some really neat internal lighting for further effect, too!

Hoping to have the first test castings in my hands within a week.
                        Thanks for the info Bob! Looking forward to seeing how the model progresses.

Though, encouraging Dave to put in one big engine on something is dangerous. It WILL be interesting to see the speed of sound broken by a submarine....!

Comment

• bigdave
                          • Feb 2003

Single pump will be much easier Bob.
                          And look very cool.
                          Looking FWD to seeing your progress.
                          And maybe even building one myself.
                          It's tempting for sure.
                          And it's just so happens I have a two axis gimbled jet pump lying around.
                          Plus a big-A$$ motor for Speedy to comment on. . BD

Comment

• bob_eissler
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Aug 2005

Seems like the rear vanes could be effective rudder and dive planes but might have to be reshaped to be more effective.

Comment

• Larry Kuntz
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

BigDave,
                              You don't own anything but big-A$$ motors. Do you?

Single pump will be much easier Bob.
                              And look very cool.
                              Looking FWD to seeing your progress.
                              And maybe even building one myself.
                              It's tempting for sure.
                              And it's just so happens I have a two axis gimbled jet pump lying around.
                              Plus a big-A$$ motor for Speedy to comment on. . BD
                              "What goes down does not always come back up"

Comment

Working...
                              X