X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

Motor glitching

jOne thing I've noticed with my 72nd SSN 22 setup is that from time to time the motor/prop glitches. When I try to get forward thrust the motor sometimes spits and skips, and the rudder will jitter a bit.

Any ideas?

e.
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Erich,
    If I was to take a swing at guessing, I would first look to your ESC. Is there a setup process for that ESC? Can you swap it out? Also, as big as that monster is, are you making extra long runs to the servos or ESC?
    If so, maybe a noise suppressor might be in order.
    Peace,
    tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crueby
      • May 2015

You do have capacitors from the motor leads to the motor can? Without that glitches are common. Otherwise, look for metal on metal rubbing somewhere, keep the ESC as far from the receiver as possible too.

Beyond that, keep the rum away from the crew...

Comment

• eckloss
        • Nov 2003

I don't know how A caused B, but I gave a slight amount of slack in the prop shaft (shortened the dog-bone ever so slightly), and that seems to have solved the problem. It's noisy as all hell when the motor runs, but it works. I think the motor was stressing too hard to turn the shaft and somehow caused the problem.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

Good troubleshooting Erich.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bigdave
            • Feb 2003

Sometimes I have found the glitching can come from the drive line.
            Especially if it's metal on metal.
            Metal U-joints will do this. But dog bones not so much. But it's possible.
            I always run 3 caps on my motors as well.
            One from each lead to the case, and one across the leads.
            Some do only one or the other.
            Glad you fixed the issue. BD
            sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
            "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• crueby
              • May 2015

In the pictures on the other thread, it looks like you are using a brass or some other metal dog-bone, so having that rubbing on the metal fittings (dog teeth? whatever its called) could be the source of the interferance, and be why changing the tension on it matters. Changing to a nylon or other plastic core would help, as long as you pick a strong enough material.

Comment

Working...
              X