• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

"Das Boot" Sequel Planned

Das Re-Boot!

From the Hollywood Reporter http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...enlight-905793

"German anti-war classic Das Boot is getting a sequel.

Germany's Bavaria Film and pay-TV group Sky Deutschland announced Thursday that they are producing a 8-part TV series set right after the events of Wolfgang Petersen's 1981 Oscar-nominated classic.

Tony Saint, who wrote the BBC drama Margaret Thatcher: The Long Walk to Finchley, will co-write the Das Boot script with German screenwriter Johannes W. Betz, whose credits include the award-winning period dramas The Tunnel (2001) and The Spiegel Affair (2014).

Sky plans to premiere the series, budgeted at around $28 million (€25 million) across all five of its European territories in 2018.

Das Boot —The Series starts where the film ended: at La Rochelle harbor where the crew of the U 96 submarine surfaces only to be hit by an Allied bombing attack.

Like the original film, which was based on the best-seller by German writer Lothar-Gunther Buchheim, the Das Boot series will be told from the perspective of the German soldiers. The new series, however, will extend that perspective to include characters from the French resistance, who help the Allies in targeting the German military. The producers say the series will have a strong, anti-war message.

“Telling an anti-war story is now more relevant than ever,” said Bavaria Film CEO Christian Franckenstein. “Terms like war and terror are everywhere, misleading young men through false ideology.”

Oliver Vogel and Moritz Polter will act as executive producers for Bavaria on the project, together with Sky's Marcus Ammon and Frank Jastfelder.

Das Boot is one of the most successful German films of all time. The original movie, which was also originally made as a mini-series for German TV, has grossed more than $100 million worldwide. The film continues to be a regular feature on German TV, airing 54 times in the period from 2002-2012."
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
  • Jason126
    • Feb 2018

I was going to mention this as well, I saw on facebook where a refitted full scale model from U-571 sighted in Malta for the Das Boot mini-series. Exciting! Hopefully we in the US can get access to the show!

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

I sure hope they aren't finished doing the retrofit of the 1:1 scale U-boat....that thing looks horrible.

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• eckloss
        SubCommittee Member
        • Nov 2003

Is it settling well with everyone that they'll be using the platform to "strongly" send their message of anti-war?

Comment

• JWLaRue
          • Aug 1994

...depends on how much “stronger” it will be vs. how it was handled in the original......

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• PaulC
            Administrator
            • Feb 2003

So who has watched the series since it dropped on Hulu? It's an interesting take on the material. It borrows from the original novel and Bucheim's sequel novel "Die Festung" (The Fortress). It picks up after the events of the movie and follows both a u-boat crew and characters on shore at La Rochelle.

While I've only watched the first episode and part of the second, the visuals and acting are well done. I was even intrigued by the onshore storyline. WARNING: for mature audiences only (some language, more nudity). For that reason I'm kinda stalled out on completing it.

Regarding political themes, I've not seen anything inconsistent with the original film so far.
            Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
            <><

Comment

• eckloss
              SubCommittee Member
              • Nov 2003

I'm a little confused about the format. IMDB has it broken down into Season 1 being 8 episodes, and Season 2 set to begin in November of this year. Is that correct? I don't have Hulu but have found another source for it.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                • Aug 1994

Erich,

Are you asking if this TV series is going to be more than the originally stated 8 episodes? The IMDB trivia section states that it was renewed for a second season.

-Jeff
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

This sequel is nearly primitive TV stuff and has nothing in common with the original movie or its original 5 TV episodes.

By the way, Jeff, you may remember - several years ago - when I came from Germany to your area overnight and we spent a day at the indoor University pool with the subs and in the evening with car races downstairs at Jims Butt's house ?!

I forgot his nickname here at subcommittee.

Can you send it to me ?

Thanks !
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• schmitty
                    • Aug 2006

I tried to watch it. Lost interest about half way through the first season. Totally unrealistic. Some neat special effects here and there but overall visually no where near as impressive as the original from 30+ years ago.

Jason

Comment

• tom dougherty
                      • Jul 2005

To Gato-Cobia:
                      Jeff LaRue passed away a year ago from pancreatic cancer.

Comment

• greg w
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2010

Jim Butt goes by subdude here

Comment

• tom dougherty
                          • Jul 2005

After 25 years, I know that.
                          Read the message, the request for a name is addressed to the late Jeff LaRue.

Comment

Working...
                          X